Diversgodown

Looking for first rig

I plan on getting my A license within the next two months or so, and would very much like to buy a rig right away! Just looking for some advice on what features to look for, what size I should consider, what is some of the better equip out there, and what to stay away from!!! I am 5'10 170Lbs. I know I need to develop my canopy skills before I go crazy but I would like something at least a little aggressive not a flying boat! Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks upfront for helping a newbie out!

***Glory Favors the Bold***

I plan on getting my A license within the next two months or so, and would very much like to buy a rig right away! Just looking for some advice on what features to look for, what size I should consider, what is some of the better equip out there, and what to stay away from!!! I am 5'10 170Lbs. I know I need to develop my canopy skills before I go crazy but I would like something at least a little aggressive not a flying boat! Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks upfront for helping a newbie out!

You jump at Skydive Dallas right? If so, I highly recommend asking Ernie, Cat or Mandy. They'll point you in the right direction.;)

Without knowing anything about your skills, something like a sabre2 190 will definitely be aggressive and not a boat. This isn't a recommendation persay, just letting you know that you don't need something small for it to be aggressive; a modern canopy loaded at 1:1 will have plenty to it. Speak to your instructors about the details of size/make/shape/color/etc.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

plan on getting my A license within the next two months or so, and would very much like to buy a rig right away! Just looking for some advice on what features to look for, what size I should consider, what is some of the better equip out there, and what to stay away from!!! I am 5'10 170Lbs. I know I need to develop my canopy skills before I go crazy but I would like something at least a little aggressive not a flying boat! Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks upfront for helping a newbie out!

Wow. You actually drive all the way from Texas to Skydive Chicago just to jump? Impressive. ;)

As much as I would like to tell you to call me to place an order, more responsible advice would be to wait until you get through student status, and a little beyond before buying your own gear. You and your instructors will have amuch better idea what canopies you are ready for.

Agressiveness is an attribute of a pilot, not a parachute. You can fly a "boat" agressively. I'm not recommending you fly agressively, mind you. But if that is your choice, you do not need a special canopy. In fact, a big one is better for new agressive pilots, because, when you screw up (make no mistake, sooner or later you'll blow a landing.) it will hurt a whole lot less.

For Great Deals on Gear

I Haven't jumped there yet but will be after I make some current jumps up at Skydive Chicago! But I will ask them next time I'm up there! Do you jump there?

I'm out there nearly every weekend. The instructors there were very helpful when it came to finding gear (which I should have in a few weeks:)

Take your time. I didn't get off student canopies until around the 25th jump (manta 288). I bought my own rig at jump 59 and it's now a Sabre 170.

By the 0.1-increment-per-100-jump standard, it is just ever so slightly slightly aggressive (WL 1.09) though. Planning on sticking with it for a few years though (assuming I only jump 100 times a year). I was going to get 190 and stick to it, but a rig came up for sale, was in really great condition, the DZO/instructors approved it, and I could test jump first, and I already am rapidly approaching 100 jumps. So I did buy. Actually the lightly used 175-jump Sabre 170 opens and lands much better than the rental Sabre 190 which probably must have many hundreds of jumps in comparision. This is definitely a size I really plan to jump the hell out to learn as much as possible under one size. It's small enough that I won't need to worry about wind holds nearly as much, but big enough that landings are really soft even with a slightly mis-timed flare (1 or 2 feet too high for example), great for traditional landing pattern approaches I currently do, yet exciting enough that I might even hit 300 jumps on it and learn swooping through Scott Miller in a future year on this very same canopy. Maybe not. You never know. I heard the best pilots stick to the same canopy for many hundreds of jumps to become intimately familiar with it.

I can make mistakes. Just when I land really well (3 times in a row into the peas), then poof, a zerowinder, and I get a grass stain on the butt of my jumpsuit, or a slightly sore ankle. Nature's fastballs as a student. Always lots to learn.

Either way I recommend waiting and graduating off the student canopies and jumping the rental novice sizes for a while before you buy a rig.

And of course, don't listen to me... Look at me, I'm still a relative lowtimer at 61 jumps. Become friends with the best instructors at your dropzone and talk to them a lot. Stay for the bonfires. Get to know people. Have them watch your landings. Etc. Learn from your mistakes.

I definitly plan on waiting until I get some more jumps under my belt, and I think I'll take the advice on renting some different gear and trying them out. I'm just trying to do some research and get all the info I can. When I head up to Chicago next week I'll have to pick my Instructors brain. It seems that the Sabre is a popular canopy and I think that is the one I jumped at skydive chicago. I keep reading that the end cells don't open up well. I thought it was just me being paranoid:o being a new jumper but I guess not. Have you had that problem with your 170 at all?

End cell closures are quite normal for Sabre's, that are instantly fixed by pulling rear risers down an inch or pulling the toggles to half brakes. Just takes me 2 seconds to fix.

Sabre's are popular because there are so darn many of them out there, including used ones for sale, and it's still a great first canopy after all these years.

(But at your jump numbers, don't listen to me on that one. My advice may even be a big fat no-no. Always go through your instructor.)

No your right on on that, that's what I was told to do and I only had a problem inflating them once! I probably just didn't pull down far enough or long enough but I think that was my first solo ride so I was a little sketcy! any ways I'm skipping out of work now have a good one.

My two cents... Talk to your instructors and figure out where you want to be in a few months, so you can order now... It takes a while to get a new rig, so order now then wait...

But, used is better way to go for the first rig, if you can find one.

Oh, and as someone else said, you can get a lot of enjoyment out of a "boat". I load my canopy at 1.15 to 1 and plan on staying there for a while as it is real fun and I have a lot to learn...

:D:D:D
I had to laugh when I read this because I asked the same question at your jump numbers as well..
So here is some advice and please take this with a grain of salt because I am new to the sport as well.

1) Trust your instructors they will know what canopy size is best for you.

2) PD will let you demo differn't mains for a small fee. (check with your instructors first.)

3) ASK lots of questions and compile data to find out what the best fit is for you.

I just ordered a new mirage from gravity gear, which should be here soon.B| Bonnie was really easy to deal with and didn't try jerking me around trying to sell me crap I didn't need or want.

Good luck and buy a mirage with a spectre main and a PD reserve.:P
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

:)Guess it's like that point where you find out that Santa isn't real (Sorry to break the news to anyone that didn't know) You hit that point and want your own gear. Glad I'm not the only over eager person out there!!!;) I've heard and read alot of god things about the Mirage. Haven't looked into the spectere yet. Sounds like you got a nice set up congrats

I am 5'10 170Lbs. I know I need to develop my canopy skills before I go crazy but I would like something at least a little aggressive not a flying boat!

Good luck and buy a mirage with a spectre main and a PD reserve.

Conflicting statements. Spectre is not aggressive at all. If you are looking to go aggressive with your first canopy, though, I can relate. However, rather than loading something highly, you might just want to get something with a little more go than a spectre. A Sabre2 is a nice canopy, it can be flown both conservatively and aggressively, it has a good resale value (which you'll be needing with your first canopy!) and for someone who might want aggressive it would be a much better choice than a spectre (ach!).

jmo, though. I just don't like the Spectre, many do, I don't. But, you should try them both for yourself to see what you like because that's what is important. PD does demos like has been said, so i'd definitely go that route before buying.

And, as far as a container, any new container is likely to work just fine, everyone has a preference. Look around, ask people at your dz about theirs and see which you like the look of. You do not need a Mirage necessarily, it is nice, but very pricey and there are other rigs available that will work just as well.

:)
-A