Orange1

Opinions on a 2nd hand rig (Javelin/Sabre2) please...?

Hi,

My instructors have found a rig for me are happy with it once a couple of mods are done:

Harness - Javelin, 1997, but in very good condition - needs BoC put on and hard housings which rigger will do. Has RSL, I will get AAD
Main - Sabre2 150, 50 jumps - bit small for me at the moment but instructors reckon another 20 or so jumps I'll be fine on it (it'll be about 0.95 WL) and they are happy to put in a 'spare' Pilot 168 for me to jump with in the meantime
Reserve - PD150

Doing a search under reviews and in this forum common complaints about Sabre2 seems to be end cell closures and off-heading opening? Not sure if there is anything I need to know about the harness/container considering it's relatively old?

Seller is happy to let me put down a deposit as good faith till i can actually test jump the canopy itself and see if i like it, instructor has jumped it already.

As said instructors are happy with the rig but any comments will be welcome - thanks
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Nothing wrong with a 1997 Javelin, just ask you local rigger to closely inspect it for wear and tear.

As for Sabre 2s "suffering" closed end cells or off-heading openings ...
Hah!
Hah!
Back in my day, we used to call those soft openings!
Hah!
Hah!
Oh! ... and the majority of off-heading openings - on the majority of canopies - are caused by poor body position.

What size canopy are you jumping now? Have your instructors recommended you make several jumps on each size of canopy between what you're currently jumping and the 150 to help you adjust?

Sabre2s are fine canopies and my experience matches the "complaints" you found in the reviews. Once I managed to open my 150 (at 1.5:1) with lots of line twists down behind my neck and it flew great. I think that was my first real quantity of flying facing backwards in my harness. ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

What size canopy are you jumping now? Have your instructors recommended you make several jumps on each size of canopy between what you're currently jumping and the 150 to help you adjust?

as mentioned the rig is recommended by the instructors - and the '20 or so' jumps mentioned above is the intermediate step-down, on a 168. If i don't feel comfortable downsizing after that, i won't. And if I do I'll be fully prepared to PLF if necessary at first ;)

riggerrob - thanks, the one instructor is also a rigger and has checked it - actually said he would have taken it himself if the harness wasn't too small for him!
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Heres my experience (which is pretty limited). I have a sabre 2 170 which I have been jumping since jump # 35 (wingloading 1:1.05). I also learnt to pack it from day one when it was a brand new ZP. After playing around with the packing and progressing a bit I now have pretty much on heading openings and if it does look like turning I just get on to the rear risers and control the direction. Very rarely get line twists now. THe only opening I didnt have end cell closures on was a slammer. I've heard that end cell closures happen on sabres unless the wing loading is around 1:1.3. A good pump with the rear risers or brakes sorts my cells out and it's ready to fly. Funny enough my subterminal openings have been perfect - so smooth it could be nothing out, on heading and end cells wide open.