The_Don

Fucking Scary Shit!

10 years = MORE & better cameras .
Sorry, but where do you draw the line here?

Some countries have already banned the google street view cameras.
With enough public outrage, legislation can be passed.
We just need some horrible public catastrophe to happen because of it, to make it happen.
Like a Congressman getting caught cheating on his wife.

How about public pressure to make google provide an "opt out" option, so that people who don't want their homes to appear online, can select to have their photos deleted?

10 years = MORE & better cameras .
Sorry, but where do you draw the line here?

Some countries have already banned the google street view cameras.
With enough public outrage, legislation can be passed.
We just need some horrible public catastrophe to happen because of it, to make it happen.
Like a Congressman getting caught cheating on his wife.

In my opinion, such legislation would be unconstitutional in the US. The reason is simple: most things that happen or exist out-of-doors are in the public domain. I'd think that would include a view (especially if not magnified) easily accessible by anyone on the street. I imagine some judges might rule in favor of such legislation; but if I was a judge on this issue, that's how I would rule.

How about public pressure to make google provide an "opt out" option, so that people who don't want their homes to appear online, can select to have their photos deleted?

As a matter of commercial/marketplace pressure, yes - that would be much like interest groups bringing other types of marketplace pressure on, for example, corporate sponsors. It's done all the time. But for the same reasons I mentioned above, I'd have doubts as to the constitutionality of that being mandated by law.

Think 10 years from now. :|

Do you REALLY want someone to take pics of your house & post them for the world to see ? Think hard about it there John.

I think it's just so adorable that you're thinking this is new - i.e., that prior to Google StreetView, you had ANY level of privacy. That in the past THIRTY YEARS, you had any level of privacy. Yes - It's Google StreetView that's going to take away your privacy. Not that you're video taped approximately 60 times between the time you leave your house and the time you hit your office. That your EZ-Pass could be used to get you divorced... That you're more on the grid than you'll EVER realize.

Yes. It's Google StreetView.

That's just... special. :)