Gene03

Another automotive question

If the old one is composite then you will need to scrape all of the residue off.

Once the head is off check it for warp, at 207k it's probably warped. The block probably is warped too. You might be able to get away without a resurface.

Oh and you'll probably need a new intake manifold gasket and exhaust manifold gasket if you take them off before pulling the head. I've seen people unhook all the wiring, linkages, and hoses from the intake and leaving it bolted to the head. I prefer unbolting it.

Just found out the Mazda Protege is leaking more oil than before. Its the one I mentioned previously that has over 207K miles on it.

The head gasket is leaking all along the front edge. Anybody know where I can get a new one and how much it should cost? I was quoted $85-90. Can't be too hard to unbolt the head and swap the gaskets can it?

If you really mean head gasket, it's a bit more complicated than just unbolting it. You need to make sure that the cam chain doesn't fall into the chain cover and that the chain is indexed to the cam gears properly on reassembly. Cleaning of block/head surfaces and proper bolt torque are also important. If you really mean cam/valve cover gasket, it should be simple. Are you sure it's the head gasket?

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow so you can see exactly what I'm referring to. I assumed the head gasket was on top, but it sounds like it's actually the cam/valve cover... It's a '96 model.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow so you can see exactly what I'm referring to. I assumed the head gasket was on top, but it sounds like it's actually the cam/valve cover... It's a '96 model.

The Rocker cover is the top bit so gasket should be above spark plugs, the heads are what the spark plugs go into (so the gasket is generally below them)

Squeak Mechanical Genius:$:$:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Just found out the Mazda Protege is leaking more oil than before. Its the one I mentioned previously that has over 207K miles on it.

The head gasket is leaking all along the front edge. Anybody know where I can get a new one and how much it should cost? I was quoted $85-90. Can't be too hard to unbolt the head and swap the gaskets can it?

If you really mean head gasket, it's a bit more complicated than just unbolting it. You need to make sure that the cam chain doesn't fall into the chain cover and that the chain is indexed to the cam gears properly on reassembly. Cleaning of block/head surfaces and proper bolt torque are also important. If you really mean cam/valve cover gasket, it should be simple. Are you sure it's the head gasket?

The first gasket down from the top will be the cam/valve cover gasket. 4 to 6 inches below that will be the head gasket. If the leaky gasket is above the intake and exhaust manifolds, you're in luck!

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

The first gasket down from the top will be the cam/valve cover gasket. 4 to 6 inches below that will be the head gasket. If the leaky gasket is above the intake and exhaust manifolds, you're in luck!

Cool! :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I like my explanation betterer:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I like my explanation betterer:ph34r::ph34r:

Sorry. I didn't see your post while I was posting. Sparkplugs won't be visible if they screw into the top of the head between the valves.

For the OP: It could be that the valve cover screws are just loose. Either way, be very careful tightening them, because they probably can't be tightened very much without warping the cover enough to make it leak, even with a new gasket. They might even be too tight. Your valve cover may be made of plastic.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

For the OP: It could be that the valve cover screws are just loose. Either way, be very careful tightening them, because they probably can't be tightened very much without warping the cover enough to make it leak, even with a new gasket. They might even be too tight. Your valve cover may be made of plastic.

With the rocker covers you can use gaskety goop too cant you??
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Depends on the type of gasket. If it's a rubber o-ring thingy that sits in a groove in the cover, then no goop. If it's a regular gasket, then maybe. I don't know if you can trust your auto parts store for advice. You can go to the website of a gasket company like Fel-Pro and see if they have any info.

-NickDG

You can try smearing it all around the old gasket if you want to save 10 bucks, it might work for awhile.

You'll want to use some in the corners of the cam bearing caps before you put the valve cover back on though. It will leak if you don't.

The Rocker cover is the top bit so gasket should be above spark plugs, the heads are what the spark plugs go into (so the gasket is generally below them)

Mechcanical Genius my ass,

Aren't you the guy that wanted to save the bolts on your muffler flange?:P:P:P
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

1996 is old ?? :o
I never had a car THAT young [:/]

And she's only a few years old to me. ;)

Runs rather well considering.

It's the smell of burning oil/tranny fluid that stinks her up. >:(>:(>:([:/][:/][:/]

Hang a couple dozen PineTree air fresheners in her????
B|B|B| NOT.

FIND OUT WHAT IS LEAKING probably needs valve cover gaskets still. the trans may be the solenoid pack

Yes, I understand and stop yelling at me before I start crying.:P

I wasn't yelling, my caps button got pushed by accident, but I left it that way to stress the point. hope things are well in the warmth that you left us for. I need a repack when you coming home?

Warmth my ass, I got a reccurance of frostbite while camping out in Z-Hills. 20 degree nights.

It still beat the -9 degree temps in Chicago at that time.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Mechcanical Genius my ass,

Aren't you the guy that wanted to save the bolts on your muffler flange?:P:P:P
not a big fan or sarcasm is ya:D:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That is a valve cover gasket Billy, very easy to do.

Make sure that the entire flange is not tweaked/sits flat on a glass table. If not try gently using a rubber mallet and block of wood.

Then install the new gasket using a thin bead of permatex to affix the gasket to the cover first so it will not shift during installation.

Do not over tighten the bolts or it will leak again.

Get a synthetic gasket from Fel-Pro

get them just barely firm, then half a turn.

Take a wire wheel to the cover and clean it really good, scrape the head with a razor or sharped putty knife.

Get all the crap off the top of the head with an air hose or a shop vac.

Couple more pictures... I took the gasket out first so I could bring it with me to make sure I get the right one. Don't worry, I have another vehicle that I can drive. :D

I wiped off the perimeter where the gasket goes. Lot of gunk build-up...

Well, that was surprisingly easy. Cleaned out the old gunk build-up, laid beads of new black goo in the corners, installed the new gasket, bolted the cover back in place, and took it out for a test run.

Saved myself about $60 in labor. The gasket was $30.

So far, no leaking. B|

Thanks guys! :)

Little late now (not that you still couldn't)

But I marked a few spots I like to put a dab of RTV to help prevent probable leak spots.

Thanks, I covered them all already. B|

Another question totally separate from the valve cover gasket replacement thing...

For the past year or so, every time we start up the Mazda Protege, the exhaust system blows out a pretty large cloud of blue smoke, but dissipates after a minute.

Anything I can do to put a stop to that?