tdog

Packers changing closing loops

I have been doing a lot of 4way training, and on our training days, we "must" use packers (or else I would pack).

My favorite packer replaced my loop without telling me... He replaced it at the exact same length and used great material... When I saw it changed the following weekend, I went up to him and asked, "did you change it?" He said, "ya, just looking out for ya... It would have lasted quite a while longer, but I thought I would give you a fresh one..." So awesome, I just wish he told me when he did it so I could tip him for the material costs...

Then a new packer this weekend changed the length quite a bit on me... We are talking nearly an inch. Turns out we must have a different angle we like to place the d-bag or she might be much more efficient getting air out or something, because it is way too tight for my packing (and the way the rigger set up the rig when it was new too).

So, my questions are:

1) When you hire "pros", what modifications/replacements should you expect them to make without telling you? (the only two things I can think of that they might change are the type/size/count of rubber bands and the closing loop, but this question is open ended.) I guess this question could also apply to riggers doing the reserve too...

2) If a packer has a different opinion on the length of the loop or even size of rubber bands, should they ask before changing it, tell after changing it, or change it and not make a point of mentioning it?

I was a packer for a good while and I would leave the rig as is, unless a couple conditions were met.

1. If it was someone I didn't know VERY well, I would consult the jumper before taking any sort of action as to closing loops and the such.

2. If it was someone I knew very well, I would consult the jumper before taking any sort of action as to closing loops and such.

Also, I would keep my eye out for wear on the jumper's gear and potential problems with the gear. I would tuck the Slink tab back into the riser or finger check the tightness of the barrels on the rapid links. I would also de-twist brake lines. While packing if I noticed a serious concern with the rig, the main, the risers or anything, I would get the jumper and bring it to their attention if possible. If it wasn't something major and they weren't around I would continue the packjob and then tell the jumper when they got their rig.

All in all, that's what a good packer should do and it only added about a minute to my packjob time unless it was something serious and I had to get the jumper. If it was very serious I'd get manifest to page them then get to work on the next pack job waiting for the jumper to show up, then pick up where I left off if possible.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."