warpedskydiver

Wow this is great! Hey Max take a look!!!!

New Prosthesis Recycles Energy
February 18th, 2010

According to an article posted on Plos One, researchers Steven H. Collins (Department of Biomechanical Engineering, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands) and Arthur D. Kuo (Departments of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States of America) have developed a new prosthetic ankle that recycles energy through the natural gait of walking. They have mimicked the natural push-off of a human ankle and using a microprocessor to control the device, capture the energy normally dissipated by the leg. This new technology requires less than one watt. Perhaps this same technology can be used by developers of Human Exoskeletons.

New Prosthetic

http://www.soldiersystems.net/

Something of a disconnect here:

>They have mimicked the natural push-off of a human ankle and using
>a microprocessor to control the device, capture the energy normally
>dissipated by the leg. This new technology requires less than one watt.

It captures energy - but still needs power?

We've been doing some work on ambient energy, and you can get about a watt from heel strike during 'normal' walking. (Normal in quotes because walking with three pounds of stuff on your foot isn't really normal.) It would be cool to be able to use that so the limb doesn't need external power.

We've been doing some work on ambient energy, and you can get about a watt from heel strike during 'normal' walking. (Normal in quotes because walking with three pounds of stuff on your foot isn't really normal.) It would be cool to be able to use that so the limb doesn't need external power.

Think of how much fun you'd have if you could walk around building up a little energy, and then zap somebody as if you had static electricity built up? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think he just got a new leg along those lines.

Matt

The leg (knee) I just got is a test phase of a hardened microprocessor knee which they hope they can use for guys that want to stay in the military without having to re-class their MOS. The final design will be salt-water resistant. I've had mine for just about two weeks, and am pretty impressed by it.

This ankle that warped is noting is pretty sharp, and there are similar designs they're looking at for primarily below-knee amputees. I'm sure they'll mate a microprocessor knee to a microprocessor foot soon enough. The last time I got to try that combination it was...well, an interesting experience (damn thing tried to kill me)... :ph34r::ph34r:

I attached a couple pics of the X2 I'm testing for the Army now. There's about 30 of us messing with these things. I'm one of the fortunate few who's "retired" and getting to try one. B|

It will be a cool day when the knee and foot can truly integrate.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Damn Max that is way cool.

Don't be showing it off too much or all the cool kids will cut their leg off, so they can get one;):DB|

I ran into a mini-field trip of kindergarteners at the post office last week. The postal working was doing her shpeel and they all turned, riveted to my leg when I walked in to check my mail box, "whooaa! wow!"...:D:D

Eventually one asks about it, and I simply tell them my leg was hurt too bad to fix, so they gave me a new one. Then while noting how cool it is, I remind them, "It's not as good as the real one though so stay healthy." ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!