skittles_of_SDC

32 bit applications, 64 bit OS

Just remember that with the 64 Bit architecture you will need to have 4 GB of memory to use the processor to its fullest potential.

I think you mean that unless you're using a 64-bit system, memory over 4GB will not be usable (excepting things like PAE, etc..).

>>True, to a certain degree, but you won't be able to use them to the full capabilities of the software because you are only using one core of the processor. What 64 bit app are you trying to use? <<

Hopefully that was an attempt at humo(u)r. 32bit multithreaded processes on a 64bit OS will use both cores on the processors.

I am running 64-bit Windows 7 and have plenty of 32-bit programs running. I don't actually have a 32-bit program that doesn't work.

What won't work are old 16-bit programs.

PhreePhly

>>True, to a certain degree, but you won't be able to use them to the full capabilities of the software because you are only using one core of the processor. What 64 bit app are you trying to use?
Hopefully that was an attempt at humo(u)r. 32bit multithreaded processes on a 64bit OS will use both cores on the processors.

I am running 64-bit Windows 7 and have plenty of 32-bit programs running. I don't actually have a 32-bit program that doesn't work.

PhreePhly

That's what Windows Virtual PC and XP mode are for. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>>True, to a certain degree, but you won't be able to use them to the full capabilities of the software because you are only using one core of the processor. What 64 bit app are you trying to use?

PhreePhly

That's what Windows Virtual PC and XP mode are for. :)

Yep, I have a program that uses a 16-bit printing subsystem (dumbass programmer>:() that forces me to use XP-mode.

I guess I should phrase my statement slightly differently, pure 32-bit programs run just fine on 64-bit Windows, but if the developer uses a non-conforming 16-bit printing subsyetm, you might run into problems:P

PhreePhly

Kicking this up to the top because I had a brainstorm. I have 2 hard drives. One of them has XP on it and I'm thinking of just running the restore software that came with the computer so I have a clean HD with standard 32-bit XP. The other HD is all storage right now. Thoughts on putting 32-bit XP on the one HD and 64-bit 7 on the other HD and booting to whichever I need?

Dual booting works. I have used this while playing with other OSes as well as testing beta OSes. It can became a pain, and you will find yourself gravitating to a solution that doesn't require dual booting:P

It depends on how much time you want to invest in his project. One solution would be to blow off the 32-bit OS, install the 64-bit and test. If it runs the software you were concerned about, you're good to go and all is well. If you're having problems, forego the 64-bit solution for now and install the 32-bit version.

Make sure you have good backups for all of your data files, make sure you have all of the install media and activation codes for your software before attempting any of this.

PhreePhly