Tiger6513

Please Help Name Our Deli!!!

Since you're from the North, how 'bout... 'Uppa U.S.'

Chuck

because unlike Mexican's, Italian's learn to love this country!

Really? Tell that to these folks, or their families:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mexican_Americans#Military

Notable Mexican-Americans who served in the US military

* Bertrand Blanchard Acosta - Aviator, Fighter Pilot
* Lucian Adams - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Everett Alvarez Jr. - Navy LCdr/Pilot who endured 8.5 years in Vietnamese captivity and one of the longest periods as a U.S. prisoner of war (POW)
* David B. Barkley - Medal of Honor (World War I)
* Roy Benavidez - Medal of Honor (Vietnam War)
* Robert Cardenas - U.S. Air Force Brigadier General
* Richard E. Cavazos - first U.S. Army Hispanic 4-star general, Distinguished Service Cross (Korea and Vietnam)
* Kathlene Contres - U.S. Navy
* Ralph Ellis Dias - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Daniel Fernandez - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* José María Flores - General and Governor of Alta California (Mexican American War)
* Guy Gabaldon - Navy Cross recipient, credited with capturing (or persuading to surrender) about 1,500 Japanese soldiers and civilians during the Battle of Saipan (World War II)
* Marcario Garcia - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Emilio A. De La Garza - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Edward Gomez- Medal of Honor (Korean War)
* David M. Gonzales(1923–1945) - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Alfredo Cantu Gonzalez - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Freddy Gonzalez - Medal of Honor, KIA in Hue City (Vietnam)
* Harold Gonsalves - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Ricardo Sanchez - United States Army General & Author
* Ambrosio Guillen- Medal of Honor (Korean War)
* Rodolfo P. Hernandez - Medal of Honor (Korean War)
* Silvestre S. Herrera - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Edward Hidalgo - Former Secretary of the Navy
* Jose F. Jimenez - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Miguel Keith - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Felix Z. Longoria, Jr. - first Mexican American buried in Arlington National Cemetery (World War II)
* Jose M. Lopez- Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Nicolas Lucero - French Croix de Guerre (World War I)
* Louis Gonzaga Mendez Jr. - West Point Graduate, Distinguished Service Medal (World War II)
* Benito Martinez - Medal of Honor (Korean War)
* Joe P. Martinez - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Louis Gonzaga Mendez, Jr. - highly decorated Colonel, commander of the 3rd Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment (World War II)
* Francisco Mercado, Jr. - Distinguished Service Cross
* Eugene A. Obregon- Medal of Honor (Korean War)
* Rafael Peralta - Navy Cross (Operation Iraqi Freedom)
* Oscar F. Perdomo - United States Air Force Flying ace (World War III)
* Manuel Perez Jr. - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Lori Piestewa(1973–2003) - the first woman in the U.S. armed forces killed in the 2003 Iraq war[122]
* Alfred V. Rascon - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Louis R. Rocco - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Cleto Rodriguez - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Joseph C. Rodriguez - Medal of Honor (Korean War)
* Alejandro R. Ruiz - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Ricardo Sanchez- Retired Lieutenant General (Operation Iraqi Freedom)
* Marcelino Serna - Distinguished Service Cross (World War I)
* France Silva - Medal of Honor (Boxer Rebellion)
* Eugene Suarez - U.S. Marine, war photographer, World War II and Korea
* Jose F. Valdez - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Eugene A. Valencia, Jr. - Flying Ace (World War II), Navy Cross
* Alfred Valenzuela -Major General, United States Army
* Jay R. Vargas - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)
* Ysmael R. Villegas - Medal of Honor (World War II)
* Maximo Yabes - Medal of Honor (Vietnam)

I've met many interesting people in my travels and one was an old man I met in Chihuahua.

I stopped in a cantina in Ciudad Juarez, just across the border from Texas to have a drink and some dinner and began to talk to this gentleman who occupied the table next to mine.

He was much older than I and after discussing relations between Mexico and the US and some history or the region, he told me he knew Pancho Villa.

I was a bit incredulous, as he didn't look old enough, but he assured me that as a teenager he had met the famous caudillo.

I bought him another drink and here's his story as well as I remember:

"As a young man in the 1920s I worked in Parral and was told many times Pancho Villa was a force not to be taken lightly, but I was young and foolish.
One day as I walked to work a man on horseback became angry with me $$because he said I did not move out of his way fast enough to please him.
I, being young and foolish, spoke back to him rudely. He informed me that he was Pancho Villa, not to be disrespected!
Then he pulled out his revolver, cocked it, and pointed it at me.

Just as I thought I was going to be killed, the man's stallion released a load of manure into the muddy street.
The rider laughed, pointed the pistol at the pile, then ordered me to eat. What could I do? He had the gun, so I began to eat.

A minute later, the stallion shied, I do not know why, and dumped the famous general in the street--his revolver flying out of his grip in the process.

I quickly picked up the revolver, pointed it at him, and with a bit of malice, told him to finish my meal.

What could he do? I had the gun, so he began to eat.

You ask--did I know Pancho Villa?

Why, we had lunch together one day in Parral!" :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

We are all immigrants. Country of origin does not seem to determine an individual's "love" for the US, even under adverse treatment. This country has a weird way of "testing" it's immigrants. Many of the Italian immigrants who were mistreated came here to escape the rise of fascism in Europe.

I can't name 'em all but mostly these were legal aliens:

"Congressional Record: September 17, 2003 (Senate)
Page S11644-S11647

PETITIONS AND MEMORIALS
The following petitions and memorials were laid before the Senate and
were referred or ordered to lie on the table as indicated:

[...]

POM-293. A concurrent resolution adopted by the House of
Representatives of the Legislature of the State of New
Hampshire relative to Italian-American citizens of the United
States during World War II; to the Committee on the
Judiciary.

House Concurrent Resolution No. 27

Whereas, more than 500,000 Italian-Americans served in
World War II for the United States of America
; and
Whereas, recently it has become known that up to 600,000
members of the families of those who served in World War II
were placed under wartime restrictions which included random
arrests and searches of their person and property, curfews,
forced relocation, so-called ``prohibited zones,'' and
internment camps; and
Whereas, these individuals were placed under such
restrictions solely based on their Italian-American heritage
;
and........."

complete petition is here

Show me who in that list I posted was an illegal immigrant. By the way, did you know that the derogatory term "wop" means "without papers"?

But whatever, dude. The bigoted demonizing of Mexicans, as well as the coy, thinly-disguised attempts of many to rationalize it, disgusts me. Answers like yours are not perceptive, and they're not part of the solution; they're part of the problem.

Show me who in that list I posted was an illegal immigrant. By the way, did you know that the derogatory term "wop" means "without papers"?

But whatever, dude. The bigoted demonizing of Mexicans, as well as the coy, thinly-disguised attempts of many to rationalize it, disgusts me. Answers like yours are not perceptive, and they're not part of the solution; they're part of the problem.

tad touchy are we?

You completely missed my point. As a lawyer you probably need to read what is written and not try to add things that are not there. (Do not assume I am bigoted towards lawyers. My brother is one.) I re-read my post and do not see anywhere where I called anyone an illegal immigrant. I have several friends and one relative who are Mexicans who have entered this country illegally. I could say undocumented but the fact is they are/were illegal aliens. To make my position clear--- I am against illegal immigration, but for legal immigration... regardless of race, color or creed, just like our founding documents say. I am for a path to legal status on an individual basis. I am fully aware that the origin of "WOP" applied to immigrants (from anywhere) who were checking in legally and who did not have identification papers with them when they arrived. The bureaucrat stamped "W.O.P." on their entrance documents, spelled their names incorrectly and sent them on their way. Bigotry is a very serious charge and throwing the term about for the advancement of a political agenda weakens the term.

To get on with my original point..... I was simply trying to point out that treatment of immigrants in this country has always been less than ideal and Mexican immigrants are not experiencing anything new. I was pointing out that immigrants have been mistreated regardless of their immigration status, country of origin, or service to this country and that that treatment does not necessarily temper their love for this country. :)

tad touchy are we?

1+ BITCH SLAP OF THE MONTH!

I was simply trying to point out that treatment of immigrants in this country has always been less than ideal and Mexican immigrants are not experiencing anything new. I was pointing out that immigrants have been mistreated regardless of their immigration status, country of origin, or service to this country and that that treatment does not necessarily temper their love for this country.

Yeah...like THAT'S gonna fit on the sign at the deli! :D

I was simply trying to point out that treatment of immigrants in this country has always been less than ideal and Mexican immigrants are not experiencing anything new. I was pointing out that immigrants have been mistreated regardless of their immigration status, country of origin, or service to this country and that that treatment does not necessarily temper their love for this country.

Oh yeah!..... I forgot to add that without immigrants Americans would be eating some pretty crappy food. :)

**{{{{GOLFCLAP}}}}**
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

From my observations in an industry I know little about, the name doesn't mean as much as the product you serve.

Ethnicity in the name matters little as deli's are run by every nationality.

What is important is the little things that leave the unsuccessful deli owners scratching their heads trying to figure out why it didn't work. Like using miracle whip or some cheap shit dressings instead of real mayonnaise.

The same goes for the bread. Bagged off-the-shelf garbage will also spell failure and you need a daily supplier. If you don't use it all, freeze it. Bread oxidizes quickly.

Real butter instead of margarine is also important.

Keep those things in mind and using cheap meats will also spell disaster.

Just my 2 cents, GOOD LUCK
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

From my observations in an industry I know little about, the name doesn't mean as much as the product you serve.

What is important is the little things that leave the unsuccessful deli owners scratching their heads trying to figure out why it didn't work. Like using miracle whip or some cheap shit dressings instead of real mayonnaise.

The same goes for the bread. Bagged off-the-shelf garbage will also spell failure and you need a daily supplier. If you don't use it all, freeze it. Bread oxidizes quickly.

And that's the balancing act...doing all that for a reasonable price.

tad touchy are we?

1+ BITCH SLAP OF THE MONTH!

You praise yourself for a "bitch-slap" after publicly embarrassing yourself? That's the closest thing to online masturbation that I've seen in a long time.

You took a nice thread about a nice thing, you took a shit on it, and you got called on it. Call it a day already.

Ethnicity in the name matters little as deli's are run by every nationality.

Yep! ...and just as bad are restaurants that start up and build a rep using quality ingredients for a while and then, after building a clientele, begin cutting corners to try to maximize profits. They are cutting their own throats. (I mean that metaphorically, for Pete's sake!) :)

Yup...when I went to the U of I there was a deli that people use to wait an hour or more to get into, it was THAT good.

Within 3 years ya could get a better sammich at Subway!

At least there wasn't a line anymore!!:ph34r:

Yup...when I went to the U of I there was a deli that people use to wait an hour or more to get into, it was THAT good.

Within 3 years ya could get a better sammich at Subway!

At least there wasn't a line anymore!!:ph34r:

In Plant City (a few miles south of zephyrhills) a place called "Jim's Lunch" was locally famous for having the best hamburgers around. When my dad returned from England after WW2 the first thing he wanted to do was go get a burger from Jims's. His buds told him the place had been shut down for mixing meat from stray cats in his burgers. :P:P