BETO74

Debt consolidation

Call you credit card companies directly. They will be willing to work with you. I know this because I work in the industry. If you have multiple cards with the same company, they may consolidate your balances. The will reduce or emliminate your interest, but your account will be frozen or closed until the balance is paid off. At the company I work for its referred to as a debt management program.
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

Any suggestions or advice what to look for? what to avoid?

Some of them are high pressure sales. They'll offer to save you money on a monthly basis. What they keep hidden until the last moment is that they're going to charge a thousand dollars or more to one of your credit cards for their services. So in order to help you pay off your debt, they're just putting you deeper in debt...

Call you credit card companies directly. They will be willing to work with you. I know this because I work in the industry. If you have multiple cards with the same company, they may consolidate your balances. The will reduce or emliminate your interest, but your account will be frozen or closed until the balance is paid off. At the company I work for its referred to as a debt management program.

+1

Most CC companies will let you consolidate debts from other companies onto one card (find the one with the lowest interest rate) and pay it off.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Everyone here has posted good suggestions. Definitely do your homework, try working with your creditors at first and if that doesn't work ask for some professional help from a credible source. If the situation gets bad enough don't be shy to look into Bankruptcy options. Though no one really wants to talk about it, it can be a decent financial tool. I used to work a for a law firm that provided "debt arbitration" services and I have to say that A LOT of our clients probably should have gone the bankruptcy route.

Good luck.

Any suggestions or advice what to look for? what to avoid?

if your in that deep, you should take a lesson from Dave Ramsey (Daveramsey.com)

go through the program "financial peace university"

by the way, he pronounces it "Debt CONsolidators"...since they do nothing you cant do on your own, and take your money. his show is on XM radio, and i do believe pod casts are available. never, ever, give anyone electronic access to any of your accounts either.