wildcard451

Planning NYC Trip

Well, I am thinking about taking a weekend up to NYC to goof off with the lady. Gonna be up Sept 9-12.
Looking for fun things to do. We'll probably see a Broadway show or something. I wanna find a good jazz club. Definitely gonna lose myself in B&H for a few hours.

Any good decent hotel recommendations that aren't gonna break the bank? I don't mind being a subway ride into the city. I'll be coming into the city on Amtrak into Penn Station.

Good restaurants?
Hole in the wall night spots?
Jazz Clubs?
Daytime stuff - USS Intrepid, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, touristy stuff....?

Well if you want a tag-a-long if I'm free I can meet you guys and get you into some museums for free
Museum of Modern Art me + 2 guests
P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center me + 1 guest
American Museum of Natural History me + 5 guests
Lower East Side Tenement Museum me + 2 guests
New York Botanical Garden me + 5 guests
The Met Cloisters me + 2 i think

Intrepid is cool, central park is a nice walk through, statue of liberty you can't climb anymore but you can dick around outside. Battery Park is nice also.

Swing by Ground 0

Other than that....
Jazz Clubs - Birdland is the most famous

Some good bars - McSorleys or Off the Wagon. Theres a ton of little ones that i can't remember the names too. if you walk around you'll pass dozens, can always pick a dive or cluby type place as you walk by. if they have a ridiculous cover or you don't like it just leave. tons of other places.

DO NOT let her talk you into going to a place called LIPS. its a drag club. i was duped into that once *shudder*

Culture Club and Copa were cool but they closed down :( Theres always Japanese Karoke but thats more fun in large drunken groups.

If you want to see a show sign up at www.playbill.com get discount tickets. its free to sign up.

if you want some recommendations for shows....theres a couple really funny off-broadway ones i liked. "I Love You You're Perfect Now Change" and "My First Time" were really good and cheap. For Broadway there are the classics. Like Phantom of the Opera.

Also check out comedy clubs, they are always a blast if you can't find anything else to do.

Boston Comedy Club
Comedy Cellar
Comedy Central i think are the big ones. theres one more, cant remember though

edit: also check out toys r' us in times square. and if your gf likes shopping macys.
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

dRIVING IS A BLAST IN mANHATTEN. I got a 6speed Benz and mad e the tripp up. found they all drive like ME! it was fun. time sqr. is a Disney for adults now. great Pubs everywhere too.

I stayed at a Hampton Inn right near Madison Square garden for, I think, 143/night (not including city taxes, I think it was 189 after all the taxes?) back in February. Great location as you had a subway right there and were basically near the heart of the city anyway. I thought that was a great deal. Decent enough hotel, not fancy but clean and had everything needed.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

dRIVING IS A BLAST IN mANHATTEN.

It's been a long time since I drove on the island. What I noticed was almost nobody paid attention to the painted lines dividing lanes. It was like a free-for-all! :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Driving isn't so bad, but parking if Fing impossible! Unless you park it in a garage and pay some stupid amount of money.
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Driving isn't so bad, but parking if Fing impossible! Unless you park it in a garage and pay some stupid amount of money.

Yeah, after that experience, I was like NEVER AGAIN! Park it elsewhere and take the train or subway in. Luckily there are in-laws and relatives that live in the area.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I lived in NYC and here are some MUST DO's:

1. In the evening just before sun sets walk to the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge.. The view is amazing during the day and at night. You can see the entire city, all the bridges on the East river, the Statue of Liberty. Then go over to the Brooklyn side of the bridge and walk down to the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, best ice cream in the city, plus it is located in one of the most famous film locations in the entire city.

2. If you like Italian food... one of my favorite places is Vincents in Little Italy, they have the best spicy marinara in the world, plus it's cool to experience little Italy.

3. For some fun nightlife you can go anywhere... but there is an area that I like starting at the corner of Houston (pronounced house-ton) and Ludlow that has ~4 blocks of straight bars and lounges, everything from biker bar to martini lounge.

Then theres everything else that you can just get a brochure for. Walking or biking along the Hudson bike path is pretty nice too.

#1. Make sure to walk the Brooklyn Bridge if it is the only thing you do!!!!!!!
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Make sure to walk the Brooklyn Bridge if it is the only thing you do!!!!!!!

just don't jump off (without a rig)

Whats the name of that bar in the meat packing district that they modeled coyote ugly after? i can never remember its name. anyway cool bar, worth checking out just to see all the women's under clothing hanging about

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Make sure to walk the Brooklyn Bridge if it is the only thing you do!!!!!!!

just don't jump off (without a rig)

Whats the name of that bar in the meat packing district that they modeled coyote ugly after? i can never remember its name. anyway cool bar, worth checking out just to see all the women's under clothing hanging about

I think it's Hog's and Heffer's.

I think it's Hog's and Heffer's.

Thats it! go there!

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

1. In the evening just before sun sets walk to the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge.. The view is amazing during the day and at night. You can see the entire city, all the bridges on the East river, the Statue of Liberty. Then go over to the Brooklyn side of the bridge and walk down to the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, best ice cream in the city, plus it is located in one of the most famous film locations in the entire city.

2. If you like Italian food... one of my favorite places is Vincents in Little Italy, they have the best spicy marinara in the world, plus it's cool to experience little Italy.

3. For some fun nightlife you can go anywhere... but there is an area that I like starting at the corner of Houston (pronounced house-ton) and Ludlow that has ~4 blocks of straight bars and lounges, everything from biker bar to martini lounge.

Then theres everything else that you can just get a brochure for. Walking or biking along the Hudson bike path is pretty nice too.

I beg to differ, I grew up in Houston... its pronounced just like it looks.

Funny thing about being from Houston... not too many people know how to pronounce Kuykendahl Rd. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Funny thing about being from Houston... not too many people know how to pronounce Kuykendahl Rd. ;)

Kirck-in-doll :D
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

Ky-Ken-Doll....lol. I dunno

Exactly! :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Ky-Ken-Doll....lol. I dunno

Exactly! :D

I changed it after I remembered this exact convo while in Texas- ya'll are weird
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

I changed it after I remembered this exact convo while in Texas- ya'll are weird

Fuckin northerners

No... actually the street name in NYC is pronounced (house-ton).. :S:o

----

The street name Houston confuses many people from outside of New York (invariably becoming one of the easiest signs of spotting tourists) because the letters "ou" are pronounced as in the word house (pronounced /ˈhaʊstən/), whereas the same letters in the name of the city of Houston, Texas are pronounced like the "u" in huge (pronounced /ˈhjuːstən/ or /ˈjuːstən/, "HYOO-stin"). This is because Houston Street was named for William Houstoun (note that the spelling is different), before the fame of Sam Houston, for whom the city in Texas is named.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Street_%28Manhattan%29

Doh! Tourist! :D

...and if ya didn't know, now ya know.

This is because Houston Street was named for William Houstoun (note that the spelling is different)

Then why the fuck did they misspell the damn street name?

Wicked, statue of liberty, ground zero - check.
HDR photography on top of the empire state building - check.

Really looking forward to dinner at le bernardin tonight, but still might cry when we get the check.

Tomorrow - more tourist stuff and shopping for the lady.

Sunday - personal time with me drooling and burning up a credit card at B&H Photo Video. Good trip so far.