Amelia

Mirage container sizes

I would guess you have a really damn good chance of getting the canopy into the container. My M2 fits my samurai 150 (listed as "tight as a brick") with a bit of room left. Mirage lists the M3 as "snug" with a Sabre 150, and "tight as a brick" with a spectre 170. My comment is that while my smart 150 is only listed as "snug" it is worse than "tight as a brick," with the moving of the cutter, I believe (non-rigger opinion) that it is more difficult to make a very very tight mirage look good, so while you may be fine with a PDR 160 according to the chart, that combining with an already tight main could mean a huge pain each time you pack it up. Is there a reason *not* to get a G3 M5? I can tell you flat out that I wish I would have gotten an M5. Unless you fully intend to downsize both main and reserve in the near future, then why get a container that just isn't made for what you want it to do?

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

I have a Sabre2 170 in a Mirage G4-M3...

but I think it is designed differently then the G3.

I would ask a qualified rigger... that's who suggested that the 170 would probably fit in my G4.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

my smart 150 is only listed as "snug" it is worse than "tight as a brick,"

that may be true, but it fits in there, right? and if you are not a rigger you are not packing it, so it's not your hassle anyway...:P

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

my smart 150 is only listed as "snug" it is worse than "tight as a brick,"

that may be true, but it fits in there, right? and if you are not a rigger you are not packing it, so it's not your hassle anyway...:P

Well It's not your hassle till your rigger tells you he/she will not pack it anymore unless you either downsize canopies or get a different container. It has happened before.
Fly it like you stole it!

Cheers for your comments- keep them coming- someone out there must've tried it!?!

Reason I'm asking is because I've come across a 2nd hand rig, the G3/'M3' that I like (would be my 1st rig), but want to use a sabre 170 main (might just get a spectre instead?). I wouldn't want to downsize the reserve but would like the option of downsizing in the future.

E-mailed mirage but no reply yet, and riggers have said anything from 'should be ok' to 'you'll struggle'!? :S ...and unfortunately I can't try before I buy as I'm in the Uk and the seller's in the states! [:/]

Anyone else got any idea? Cheers!

I have a Mirage M3 G3 and first put a Triathlon 160 in it. It was a complete bitch to pack. Talking with Mirage they said the M3 should fit a Sabre2 170 and the container itself listed it'd fit a Spectre 170, so maybe my Triathlon was just "bulky".

I now have a Hornet 150 and it's still a little tight, but no where near the PITA that my 160 was. The thing with canopies is that a 170 isn't a 170 isn't a 170, they vary in bulk.

So you might get lucky and it'll fit okay, you might have to struggle like I did with bleeding fingers to get it in or it might not fit at all.

But I wouldn't recommend it. Being a newbie packer is hard enough without having to jump up and down on your D-bag just so you can close it.

Update on my thread incase any one else ever wants to know....

It fits fine - packs no problem and opens no problem, and thats what I need it to do! :)
Got the 160 PD reserve and a sabre 1 170 in it. The main has done just over 400 jumps which I guess helps a lot with packing.
Blue skies, Amelia

(mirage never replied to either of my emails btw!)