Nickel

What to look for in a new rig....

The thing I'm looking for most in a new rig is MEB|
I just ordered a new Micron and I can barely stand the wait for it.:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hello,

Can anybody tell me what ot look for when buying a first rig?? BOC?
Should I look for any special features??

Thanks

If you're buuying new (as opposed to used gear) you will be investing a lot of $$ - so ask a lot of questions from your instructors, your riggers AND the manufacturers. I work for one, so I'm not going to use this forum to advertise, but you should call as many as you can and ask the questions that concern you. There are no dumb questions, just unasked ones, so do the research across the board, realize that EVERYONE has a personal opinion that may contain bias and sift through the information before parting with the green....... Good Luck Dude!
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

If you're of average size and weight, there is a lot of great gear out there, in good shape, at very good prices. Then you could shop more in mind of "what do I need for the next 100-200 jumps?" instead of "I'm spending $5000, I want a really small canopy I won't be bored with in 300 jumps." A lot of people have a lot of coin to drop on gear, but at your intermediate stage a good, used rig allows you to get experience safely and get a better idea of what you may want at 200-300 jumps.

Pssst. Wanna buy a GQ Unit and 26' Lopo in a old SST Racer? Clean, one owner, been in a box since 1985.:P

Seriously, just kidding on that last one.

Thank you for all the replies...

I weigh about 135lbs.
I should have been more specific. I am looking for a used rig. Not new.

Pssst. Wanna buy a GQ Unit and 26' Lopo in a old SST Racer? Clean, one owner, been in a box since 1985.

Seriously, just kidding on that last one.

I guess that was before my time, lol.

Talk with your local riggers and instructors. They can tell you the correct size canopies that you need to be looking at. Also the type of canopy that is best for you should be discussed with those that have actually seen you fly and land.

Read the incidents also to see just how easy it is to die under a heavly loaded canopy.

Pointers are:

Velcro on a rig requires maintence every 100-200 jumps. Be prepared to pay for new velcro. Don't get cheap and skip replacing it since that leads to flaps open and stuff.

Not all rigs will hold wide ranges of canopies. Some are designed for specific sizes.

BOC is needed if you don't go pull out.

Have your rigger inspect it before you buy it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com