ehaecker

Mirage G3 & Cypres 2 question

I hope this is not a stupid question. I just got my Mirage G3 today. It didn't come with a cypres, so I plan on just buying one new. I know they had that service bulletin a while back, so I guess when I have the cypress put in, it will automatically be complied with? also, I want to try to get it put in either this weekend or next. Is there a certain kind I need to get? I don't want to order one and have it not fit a Mirage G3 or something bad like that [:/]
--------------------------------------------------------
"Just follow your heart, that's what I do."
-Napolean Dynamite

Do you have a rigger at your DZ? If so, take your container to him/her and have it checked to see if it has been modified to be complient with the SB. Other then that the Cypres2 will fit, the rig was designed for use with a Cypres.

Eitherway, no one can tell you if it has been modifed properly by chatting on the web, please please please talk to your rigger.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you get a new cypres, then it will be a cypres2 and it will fit perfectly fine in your mirage. Even if you got a used cypres, it will also fit just fine in your G3. Be sure to get a "pro cypres2," but I'm sure the gear dealer you go through will get you what you need. If your mirage is new, then it will already have the service bulletin completed.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Yes, I have a rigger at my DZ. I want to take it there this weekend so that I can get the cypres put in, get the re-pack, and all the inspections current etc...
Thanks for your help,
Eric
--------------------------------------------------------
"Just follow your heart, that's what I do."
-Napolean Dynamite

Just as a note, the service bulliten applies to all Mirages, not just ones with AADs installed. So even if you arent getting a cypres2 put in, you need to have the service bulletin done at the next repack.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Just as a note, the service bulliten applies to all Mirages, not just ones with AADs installed. So even if you arent getting a cypres2 put in, you need to have the service bulletin done at the next repack.

That's incorrect.

If there is no AAD installed the bulitin does not apply.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Really??!! :S

I'd hate to think people got to spend this $$ to re-route something they DON'T EVEN HAVE! You sure you read the SB correctly? Might want to read it again......[:/]

From the website...http://www.miragesys.com/ProductInfo/ServiceBulletins.aspx

Mirage Systems is announcing a new Product Service Bulletin concerning the Automatic Activation Device cutter location on all of its harness/container systems. If you are a Mirage owner and benefit from the additional safety provided by an AAD option, this PSB applies to you.

You are right.

At the gear store here at the Ranch Sonic is doing them all, cypres or not. I "think" Mirage's plan would be to have them all changed over during the next repack cycle so there are no un-altered rigs floating around. I also know a rigger would not assamble a cypres in an unaltered rig, but poor rigging is how this whole thing began.

I think it is a good idea to get it out of the way.

Sorry for my mis-information.

p.s. Sonic is doing it for free if he sold the person the rig, so up here, its a non issue.

Johnny
Mike Rome

I think it is a good idea to get it out of the way.

Me too.

Sorry for my mis-information.

No problem.:)
Mine hasn't been done, and won't be as long as I own it and don't have an AAD in it. If I sell it, I'll do the mod before it goes to it's new owner.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The only thing I've heard against that is that as long as you are using the old cutter location, you aren't packing a TSO'd rig in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

I dont know if it amounts to the same thing or not.

Johnny
Mike Rome

I also know a rigger would not assamble a cypres in an unaltered rig

I would.

The only thing I've heard against that is that as long as you are using the old cutter location, you aren't packing a TSO'd rig in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

SB's are not manufacturer's instruction, they are SB's. SB's are not mandatory, AD's are. It is completely legal to jump a rig that does not have an SB applied (or SB's for that matter). It is illegal to pack a rig that does not comply with an AD. Same thing applies to aircraft. You do not have to comply with SB's, but you do have to comply with AD's. Aircraft must be maintaqined according to the manufacturer's instructions, just like parachutes. Only the FAA can issue an AD. If SB's were mandatory, you would see SB's that put life spans on gear since manufacturers would like to limit their liability. But they would have to convince the FAA to issue an AD to make it legal. For another example, the jump Shack bullutin for adjustable MLW harnesses that say you can only put round mains and reserves in them isn't legally binding. A rigger could pack squares in them all day long and not violate any FAR's.

Derek