BirdBoi

Student needing advice asap with gear and a ny1 that can get any good deals..; )

Hiya all u sky junkies... im jus of the back of completing my
AFF and consoles with flying clolurs and am ready to go into the market to buy some gear....any adivice on containers ? i was lookin at a atom lengend r.. any good??

The main issue here tho is the canopy size i dnt want some idiot selling me a 120 and end up killing myself!!! I did all of my AFF and consoles on a 200... i weigh jus under 10 stone (9`13) which for all those yanks is 63 kg.. so wat size should i be looking do downgrade to????

thanks for the help

I would suggest talking to your instructor about what size/type canopy they would recommend for your skill level and the type of jumps you wish to make.

I would suggest reading the "gear" section about and look at the articles which are aimed at "first time" rig purchases. I learn alot from these. Also if you look a few posts down someone has asked a similar question about buying a new rig.

In terms of if an Atom is any good. I have no idea so I will not comment.

i weigh jus under 10 stone (9`13) which for all those yanks is 63 kg..

That's funny, giving yanks a conversion from stone to kg. That's no help. 63 kg = 139 lbs. So you can expect to be maybe 165 out the door. Generic advice would be to get a canopy about 170-sized. There will be a noticeable transition from most student 200s to a 170 though, so get with your instructors, get some advice from them, which will be better than from any of us.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Just remember about your weight, I don't know what your fall rate is like - but you may need to wear some lead to do rel work, so that can add up to 5kg or even more to your exit weight.
I'm 67kg without gear, I went for a 170.
Talk to your instructors, they know how you fly.