Hooknswoop

SB Voucher Idea

I am curious to opinions of my idea of a manufacturer paying riggers to do their SB’s. The rigger shoots the manufacturer a quick e-mail with the S/N of the rig, their address, and their certificate #. That information will prevent abuse of the system and only takes a minute for the rigger to get paid. No long forms, stamps, etc. This would save the manufacturer from having to do the SB’s, save shipping both ways, possible re-packs (depending o the SB), and down time for the rig.

The manufacturer saves money, the owner saves money and their rig isn’t down while in shipping or in line to get worked on at the manufacturer, the rigger gets paid a set rate.

While not perfect (their may not be a local rigger that an do the SB), I don’t see any downsides.

Derek

How would you monitor quality control?

You couldn’t. But right now you can’t monitor quality control of someone takes their rig to their local rigger for an SB either (or for a re-pack, a patch, or any other repair for that matter).

If it was that big of a concern, then the manufacturer would have to get the FAA to issue an Advisory Directive that required the AD to be done at the factory.

The only thing vouchers would change is to increase the number of SB’s done in the field and reduce costs and down time for the owner and manufacturer.

If the rigger can’t do it right, they shouldn’t do it. The owner should take it upon themselves to read an SB and make sure the rigger does it right.

Derek

The owner should take it upon themselves to read an SB and make sure the rigger does it right.

So the owner would pay to have it done right the second time if it wasn't done right the first time?

What would be the best way for a new jumper, with around 20 or 30 jumps, to supervise me as I modify his Mirage? Would he recognize a job done right?

Mark

So the owner would pay to have it done right the second time if it wasn't done right the first time?

What would be the best way for a new jumper, with around 20 or 30 jumps, to supervise me as I modify his Mirage? Would he recognize a job done right?

I suppose the same way they would know if their reserve was packed correctly, they wouldn't.

All I was saying is it is a good idea for the owner to understand what is going on with their rig.

Do you think all maintenance, re-packs, repairs, AB's, and AD's should only be done at the factory because all riggers are inept?

People take their rigs to their rigger for SB's all the time. Having the manufacturer pay the rigger a set amount for doing the work saves the owner from paying for the SB.

That is all I am proposing. I don't see how having the owner pay the rigger for the SB or the manufacturer pay the rigger affects the quality of the work done.

Derek

The owner should take it upon themselves to read an SB and make sure the rigger does it right.

Mark

Because you have earned a riggers ticket, the FAA says you no longer need to rig "under supervision".:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I agree with you on this: A rig manufacturer would save money and owners would save time if a competent local rigger did the work and the rig manufacturer paid the rigger.

I just don't see a good way for manufacturers to ensure they're getting what they pay for.

When an owner pays, he may not know immediately if he's getting way he pays for, but he does know where to go if he finds out later the job wasn't done right. He has a good chance of getting his money back, and the local grapevine keeps track of who is a good rigger and one who is struggling.

A manufacturer would know who they sent a check to, but I don't think they'd pursue anyone for $10 or $20. If I were managing the national SB pay-out, though, I'd be resistant to paying twice for the same rig. How would you handle that situation?

Mark

I just don't see a good way for manufacturers to ensure they're getting what they pay for.

How many bad riggers are out there?

Like you said; "the local grapevine keeps track of who is a good rigger and one who is struggling."

That should be enough to keep people fro bringing them their rigs.

A manufacturer would know who they sent a check to, but I don't think they'd pursue anyone for $10 or $20. If I were managing the national SB pay-out, though, I'd be resistant to paying twice for the same rig. How would you handle that situation?

If the rigger submitted the S/N's of the rigs they did the SB's on, that should prevent abuse. If the manufacturer got the same S/N twice, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out which rigger submitted the S/N w/o doing the work.

If a rigger did such a poor job on a rig that the owner had to get the work re-done, the only difference is they would have to pay another rigger to get the work they didn't have to pay for fixed. If they pay their rigger to do the SB and the rigger screws it up, then they have to pay agian to get it fixed.

I don't think there are that many bad riggers out there. Riggers that do bad work get identified and don't get much work after a while.

Derek

OK, here is why it won't work:

Mirage can do the mod and ship it for less than $20.00. So it would cost Mirage more to manage a voucher system and pay Master Riggers to do the Mod, than it costs them to do the mod and pay return shipping.

Another good idea shot to hell by reality:$.

Derek