Hooknswoop

Who should pay for SB's?

Why are you people wasting so much time arguing over pennies?

1) Because it isn't just pennies. It's dollars. As in $20+ for shipping. The real cost is the down time and shipping. How many jumps would a full time instructor miss getting this SB done. How many AFF jumps would a DZ w/ Mirage student rigs not be able to do because of the SB?

It isn't just pennies.

Derek

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

$20 out of $2000 sounds like 1% percent of the purchase price of a pimped-out Mirage, ergo my "pennies" reference.
Since the Service Bulletin is not due until the next repack, an instructor should be able to schedule it during his time off or borrow another rig for a week.
As for down-time on student rigs, smart schools stagger repacks on their student gear so that only one or two come due any given week. If they are willing to pay rocket mail, they can ship it Monday morning and have it back in service for the following weekend.

$20 out of $2000 sounds like 1% percent of the purchase price of a pimped-out Mirage, ergo my "pennies" reference.

Why pay $20+ and have the rig down for a week, when Mirage could pay Master Riggers to do the SB and the owner isn't down any money or down time?

Since the Service Bulletin is not due until the next repack, an instructor should be able to schedule it during his time off or borrow another rig for a week.

That is a much bigger hassle than just having the rig down for a normal re-pack?

As for down-time on student rigs, smart schools stagger repacks on their student gear so that only one or two come due any given week. If they are willing to pay rocket mail, they can ship it Monday morning and have it back in service for the following weekend.

If the weather is good and they have students, rigs being down for a week+ is going to cost them money.

Again, all that could be avoided, even Mirage would save money.

Derek

For the love of JeeeeeZuuus! Enough already. Now I don't have a dog in this race, but Derek your whole deal here is just to whine about somebody else in the industry. Really! I've read through this entire thread, looking for some real wisdom, and it ain't coming from your arguments. Now, let's back up and REALLY look at the situation. First and foremost, you talk about this issue as if it's a DEFECT. IT IS NOT! The situation is about new information, information that was NOT available until recently. And now that new information is brought to light, appropriate action is in order. To lump this into the same category as the fiasco with the Dash-M Raven is wrong. That was clearly a manufacturing defect, and Precision probably handled that poorly. But in this case, a properly rigged Mirage will perform as advertised. The SB is to improve reliability in the case of less than perfect field work. Now, a little analogy for comparison's sake. AD's and SB's in the aviation industry ARE ALWAYS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE OWNER. Having had the "pleasure" of owning aircraft of several makes and models, I can tell you that regardless of origin or background, I've had to pay for many things that, had it been an automobile, the tab would have been picked up by Ford, GM, etc. But General Avaition, and certainly skydiving, is a TINY, TINY, industry. We are an industry of very limited resources, and one that exists ONLY for the love of the sport. Any industry analyst would agree that to be involved in this is industry is a "weak at best" business decision. But, as I just said, we do this for the love of it. I can assure you that if the owners of Mirage Systems had deep pockets, they would gladly modify all their containers on their dime. But the reality is, manufacturers in this industry are happy just to make payroll each week and hopefully be able to keep the ship afloat. So think what you will about finances, but that's the truth of the matter. BE THANKFUL THAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO MAKE THE PERSONAL SACRIFICES AND COMMITTMENT that are necessary to even have gear other than military surplus equipment for us to skydive with. And don't call bullshit on what I say, 'cause I know what I'm talking about. So, bitch and moan, reduce the desire for the skydiving equipment manufacturing industry to even exist, and then we'll all end up where we started, jumping B-4 containers with belly wart reserves, cause that's where your logic or demands would eventually take the sport industry.

Amen

ps i feel better now

I can assure you that if the owners of Mirage Systems had deep pockets, they would gladly modify all their containers on their dime.

They are doing the SB for free and paying return shipping.

My point is they should either pay shipping both ways or Mirage could save the owner and themselves time and money, and pay Master Rigger to do the SB.

If the money is such an issue, then this would save them money........

From the poll, I'm not the only one that thinks the same way I do.

Derek

No, you're not the only one who thinks this way. But people's responses are based on their perspective, not necessarily enough information. I mean, if you asked me if I "want" something for free or if I "want" to pay for it... how else would you expect people to answer a poll? And remember, the skydivers in this internet forum aren't a representative sample of the sport; this is a forum where everyone that wants to "see their name in lights" can become a somebody.

My main point, is if Mirage were to pay Master Riggers to do the SB, then Mirage wouldn't have to do them and wouldn't have to pay return shipping. That saves them money. Not having to send it in or pay for their rigger to do the SB saves the owner down time and money. Everyone wins. That isn't whining. It is an elegant win-win solution. You didn't address this in your reply.

Derek

And remember, the skydivers in this internet forum aren't a representative sample of the sport; this is a forum where everyone that wants to "see their name in lights" can become a somebody.

And remember, thats just your opinion. And now your name is in lights along with the rest of us "non-representative" skydivers.:|
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals