npgraphicdesign

Florida motorcycle owners & fellow skydivers, question for y'all.

I'm taking a trip down the East Coast at the end of June (or mid July, that remains to be seen) and will end up in Florida for a week or so skydiving. Also, I would also love to take an MSF course and get my motorcycle license while I'm down there. Does anyone know if it's possible to do that, despite the fact that my driver's license is from CT?

Thank y'all! And anyone who wants to help me learn how to ride will be repaid in alcohol and jumps. B|

Probably will have to get your license in CT but I would think you could take the course anywhere - the "license" is just an endorsement on your current drivers license (assuming you have a license for a car).
At any rate, if you can drive a stick shift then transitioning to a motorcycle should be easy. You work the clutch with your left hand, shift with your left foot -most cycles are (from neutral) 1 click down for first, then up, up, up, up for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th - neutral is a half click up from 1st or a half click down from 2nd. Right hand is the front brake, right foot is the rear brake. It might sound complicated but its not - driving them is easy. The hard part is avoiding all the assholes in cages (cars) that are trying their best to kill you!

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Here in Florida getting a motorcycle license is easy. All you got to do is take the MSF Class, then take the certificate to your local DMV and they will give you the Motorcycle endorsement, providing you pass the class. They are offered at most colleges for around $130-$180. Give or take, also depending on if you take a class where they provide the bike. You will still have to provide the helmet and the gloves.

The MSF instructors here though know that if they pass you, you will be legal on the street, so it may behoove you to practice on your own a little before you take the class.

Being a different state, to get your motorcycle endorsement here, you will have to turn your CT license in, or play like you don't have a license and go through all the tests to get a FL license. Residency may turn into another issue.

I'm in the FL panhandle, so you probably won't be coming my way, or I would take you up on the offer! Best of luck to you and enjoy the riding season here in Florida before it gets to hot. B|

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I would also love to take an MSF course and get my motorcycle license while I'm down there.

Any reason you want to do this in Florida? In July?

The weather will be ride-able all over the US in June and July, so why not take it in your home state where you will be licensed?

Probably will have to get your license in CT but I would think you could take the course anywhere - the "license" is just an endorsement on your current drivers license (assuming you have a license for a car).
At any rate, if you can drive a stick shift then transitioning to a motorcycle should be easy. You work the clutch with your left hand, shift with your left foot -most cycles are (from neutral) 1 click down for first, then up, up, up, up for 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th - neutral is a half click up from 1st or a half click down from 2nd. Right hand is the front brake, right foot is the rear brake. It might sound complicated but its not - driving them is easy. The hard part is avoiding all the assholes in cages (cars) that are trying their best to kill you!

Check with your state. Certain states only accept MSF courses completed in that state. North Carolina, for example has a fee that the state receives for each course, so in turn, they will not accept the MSF course from other states... they want their money. Alabama and Ohio were similar at one point. Not sure how they sit now.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Just a quick note about MSF courses: they are fantastic. I had been riding all of my life and have always had a motorcycle endorsement but had to take the course to ride on post legally. Taking the basic course will prevent you from having to take a riding test to get your endorsement AND you can ride/drop their bikes if you truly are a newbie rider.:ph34r: I actually attended both the basic and advanced courses and would recommend both to riders of any experience level.

Chuck
-2001 HD Road Glide. very, very custom
-1998 Ultra Kustom Cycles Ground Pounder rigid chopper. 18" apes and 4" open primary
-2001 Yamaha YZ 250

Just a quick note about MSF courses: they are fantastic. I had been riding all of my life and have always had a motorcycle endorsement but had to take the course to ride on post legally. Taking the basic course will prevent you from having to take a riding test to get your endorsement AND you can ride/drop their bikes if you truly are a newbie rider.:ph34r: I actually attended both the basic and advanced courses and would recommend both to riders of any experience level.

Chuck
-2001 HD Road Glide. very, very custom
-1998 Ultra Kustom Cycles Ground Pounder rigid chopper. 18" apes and 4" open primary
-2001 Yamaha YZ 250

It's a great course for those that are newer riders or those who have slow speed control issues. I've ALWAYS had fun when at those courses because I ALWAYS have fun. I always learn something because I talk with the instructors one on one, and even though I may not get anything out of the course material, the coaches always seem to have a few extra tricks up their sleeve to advance those that the course itself won't be much benefit to.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.