kenthediver

British Base Jumper Death Friday 8 June 2012

A BRIT base jumper whose parachute got snagged on rocks told bystanders he was calling his "wife" on his mobile before he plummeted to his death.

Tourist Jake Simkins was making the jump on the Greek island of Zante when it went horribly wrong and he hit the cliff face.

Witnesses to the tragedy on Friday said he then got stuck on rocks for three hours.

Mr Simkins, thought to be 42, was reportedly on holiday with his pregnant partner.

Dutch tourist Corne van der Eerden told the BBC: “We heard a flapping sound and saw what we thought was a guy sky-diving or parachuting.

"He crashed into the wall - it looked to be about 60m high.

"I shouted out to him and he said he thought he had broken his leg. He said he had his mobile phone on him and was going to call his wife.

"I told him to be careful but he said he was going to hang on tight. Our boat arrived then, so my wife and I had to leave."

Greek cops said he had been attempting the jump at a cliff over Navagio beach.

Local police officer Siats Sotiros said Mr Simkins was stranded for three hours as emergency workers tried to rescue him but he fell to his death before they could reach him.