olstad

lower part of steering lines

You should replace it with the same original line, the
mfg. choose the line type for a reason when he mfg. the canopy & main reason is keeping the trim.

If we're talking about replacing the lower brake line, ie: from the loop for the brake toggle down, it won't affect the trim.

Unless, of course it's WAY too short to begin with.

As long as the lower line is long enough to allow full flight, plus a few extra inches of slack it shouldn't matter.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

The issue is who should make recommendations to the end user. When a factory or master rigger accepts an alteration suggestion from anyone it is not usually blindly implemented. Do you think that just because someone who is not qualified comes up with an idea that is accepted by a factory that gives them some wisdom to make alteration recommendations all of the time? When I worked in the factory setting I received valuable information from master riggers to students all of the time including you. Why do you think that I asked you to jump the canopies at Rantoul, because I wanted your input. When the 2K3 became popular, Rduch stopped me at the DZ one day and since he is a packer he asked if we could label the flaps with the closing order. I went back to the office, we had a meeting and within 24 hours the production line was stamping the closing order on the containers. Now if someone asks a question on here about an alteration and you were to call the factory and discuss it with them and what you thought, you might be suppressed what you could learn and maybe you have a good idea that gets implemented and helps everyone.

You did notice the " " after that, right? It was sarcasm.

My apologies, I did not notice it.

Do you have any reason not to use Dacron for lower steering lines with Vectran or any other line?

Sure, I don’t even know what canopy the poster was talking about so in absence of or conflicting information I will always recommend that the factory specifications be followed.

If manufacturers were always right, then you couldn’t put a PD-R into a Racer with rubber band locking stows instead of the bungee safety stow. I’m sure you would disagree with the manufacturer in that case.

This is not true and since I was the factory rep. that contacted PD and resolved this issue, I probably have a little more insight about this issue. I’m sure that you are aware that if there is a conflict between the manufacture of the canopy and the container the container manufacture prevails.

I’m sure that you are aware that if there is a conflict between the manufacture of the canopy and the container the container manufacture prevails.

That is interesting especially in light of the recent debate about TSO'd soft links and canopy manufactures saying no while container manufactures saying yes and visa-versa.
Fly it like you stole it!

canopy manufactures saying no while container manufactures saying yes

Which canopy manufacturer is saying no. PD, Precision, and I think Aerodyne all make TSO'd soft links.

Sure, I don’t even know what canopy the poster was talking about so in absence of or conflicting information I will always recommend that the factory specifications be followed.

What canopy(s) would you recommend it being OK to use Dacron lowers and which canopy(s) would you not recommend Dacron being OK with?

What exactly was the Vectran combination application that was tested?

Derek