bdbrown

Jumpsuit booties

Getting a new Tony Suit in next week or so and am wondering how much a difference I can expect with the booties? Never jumped with booties.

Lots. You will have a lot more forward drive when you stick your legs out, and a lot more turning power with leg turns. Be careful for the first few jumps.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I just got my new Tonysuit last week (All heavy cotton, with cordura booties. Hopefully it will help slow my big ass down), and did my pre-second jump with booties on Saturday. Big difference. Took a little bit of time to get used to them because any movement in the legs was very noticable. It was like having afterburners while tracking ;)

I got my new Tony suit 11 jumps ago, and I noticed two huge differences. First, it solved my fall-rate problems. My old jumpsuit was tight-fitting and without booties, and I tended to fall too fast. No more. Second, I now move forward much faster when I stick my legs out.

As to the latter point, I'd like to reiterate what an earlier poster wrote: be cautious on your first few jumps. When swooping toward another skydiver or other skydivers, you may notice that the same bodily adjustments that were effective before now result in an approach that is too aggressive. When you turn and track on breakoff, you may find that you track farther than you used to. The key precaution is to give yourself some leeway while you're getting used to your new jumpsuit.

Just to add to that:

Get your booties on before you get in the plane. Many times there isn't enough room in the plane for people to move around to put the bootie on. I suggest getting some Shoe Goo and put that on the bootie. It will save wear and tear on the bootie.

I put that stuff on one of my jumpsuits, and I've had that suit for almost four years and the only thing that I've had to replace on the bootie is the elastic.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I have a Michigan suit that has lasted 8 years mostly from careful care but a large part from the shoe goo protecting the whole toe area while crawling around the cessna and sliding in with tandems (oh ok the occasional oops on the zp landing too:P!)

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I just got my new Tonysuit last week (All heavy cotton, with cordura booties. Hopefully it will help slow my big ass down),

yeah those booties can be like elevators if you know how to use them. especially helpful for those of us over 220 otd!!

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower