FlyingRhenquest

40 Years Ago This Week

Well yeah, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone play Careful with that Axe, Eugene on the radio either. I always associate it more with Relics, because I was always too busy mucking about with Disc 2 of Ummagumma.

I like good covers. Camper Van Beethoven did a good cover of Interstellar Overdrive on one of their albums (Though I forget which one at the moment.) They also did a fantastic cover of Tusk. It's actually my favorite version of Tusk. Sadly, you can't buy it separately as an MP3, you have to buy their entire Tusk album, and other than Tusk, the rest of the album is crap (I don't know about Fleetwood Mac's version, I don't think I can imagine them sucking quite that much.)

Frank Zappa apparently also played with Pink Floyd for Interstellar Overdrive, and I like his cover of Stairway to Heaven more than Zeppelin's original version. Go figure.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Damn!
That was *really* good!:)

Damn, that is something that takes me back too so many years past. At age 53, to imagine my life in 73 to where it is now, it just amazes me that I have survived.
It was only two weeks after DSM that I dropped my first hit of Owsley's LSD at age 13, in 1973. I followed the Grateful Dead one summer. Freaked my parents out. My father being a Navy lifer, saw no future for me. The 70's was the best years of my life. Carefree and the future so far away. These days, I am married, have kids that are grown and long gone. A career in the field of ultrasonics I am a veteran of the Iranian Crises and, PROUD to be a part of the U.S. Navy. At times, thought the end was near. "Us and Them" defined our times as it does now.
Before DSM, my dad, Vietnam Vet (21 years, Senior Chief, Da Nang, TET offense,) was strictly jazz and blues. In 73, he grew his hair long, rode Harleys and smoked weed ( have no idea what else he did.) He gave me Dark Side of the Moon on my 13th BD. This album defines the transition of to generations and combined them as one. It was a line that was extremely blurred. My dad was an old school 50's greaser who had to join the military to stay out of prison. He grew up and came to age in the war. I, myself did the same, in an odd way.
If any album bridged the connection between father and son, it is, without doubt, Dark Side of the Moon, Time and, The Great Gig in the Sky. It is Us and Them. It is priceless in it's own realm and will stand the test of centuries the same as Wagner, Mozart and, Beethoven. It is the acid that etches our life's. At least for my generation. Thank you, Sid Barrett, wish you were there. You inspired your band mates to imagine what will live on until times pass us all by.

my father and I are on the left.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Howe ya doing MarkB|

I'm doing just great, Brother. Went back to work with my old job (Sperry Rail Service.) Got my old position back. Got married one year ago come April 29th. Got myself a small spread out in the country, between the horses and cows and, plenty of deer. But, alas, life has taken a small detour towards the black abyss. Spent the weekend at Chicagoland Skydiving and no one showed up to jump. I will return, however, as y'all know, ya can't keep a bag of hot air down unless, ya pop it on the ground.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

i believe that Dark Side of the Moon is the album which synchronizes to the beginning of the movie The Wizard of Oz.....

I have Never checked it out, myself but it IS said to match up well.

Begin the play of the album, when the MGM lion,, roars!!! @ the start of the film...

has anyone ever tried it?????

:)

I have, it's pretty strange.

Excellent documentary.

Thanks for that. Never got a chance to catch them live.

Pink Floyd, the original shoe gazers. B|

I was pretty excited last week when I saw a list of upcoming concerts in Istanbul. Roger Waters is playing there Aug 4. Then I looked at my calendar -- that's the day I'm headed to Ireland for a race! :( I'll have to check the European tour schedule. Let's see if he goes to Dublin!

ETA -- Damn! The Dublin show is right in the middle of Nationals (for which I plan to be in the US). [:/]

Guess I'll have to pick one of these other shows, and do a bit of traveling! :)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!