Mixxit

7 cell pack volume

I have a container (Vector 2) that will hold a 190. I'm thinking of getting a Spectre (7-cell). Am I able to bump up a size (i.e. 210) on a 7 cell and still have it fit in my container? Obviously a 210 is still a 210 but is the actual volume any different?

Also, does anyone have any insight as to why I should get a 7 cell over a 9 cell? I've heard lots of different opinions but was just wonder what you guys thought.

Thanks!

All things being equal, a 7 cell will have a lesser pack volume than a same sized 9 cell. The difference is in the extra nylon and suspension lines for the 2 extra cells. Would a 210 7 cell fit in a container made for a 9 cell 190 - probably. So would a 9 cell 210. Most containers can pretty easily accomodate a canopy one size plus or minus what they were built for.

As to why people are suggesting a 7 cell - good question. 7 cell canopies have a lower aspect ratio and are thus less prone to off heading openings and line twists is one of the few arguments I can think of. In my opinion, 10 years ago the Spectre and the Triathalon (both 7 cells) were about the best canopies out there for newbies. They open beautifully, fly well, and are relatively forgiving. I think a lot of people just got in the habit of suggesting one or the other as the best choice for a first (new) canopy. Now, however, there are a ton more choices, lots of nine cells, like the Sabre 2 and the Pilot.

You wouldn't go wrong with any of the above.

Demo if you can.

Canuck

First of all, I didn't know you got a rig. Congrats, you can bring beer to the Christmas party B|.

I don't see a problem with a 210 fitting in a rig built for a 190. However the question comes to what was the rig built for. (Just to give you an example of larger mains in rigs, My orange Infinity has had a 170 in it before)

Just curious, what kind of 7-cell are you looking at ?

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

DJ, you clearly already have too much time on your hands in the off season if you're already cyber-stalking me! The guys on here always tell me to talk to my instructor, but they don't understand that my instructor is completely mental! ;)

I guess I should get some info from Relative. I'm pretty sure I could stuff a 210 in that container, but I don't want to wrestle with it everytime I pack.

Any other insight on the 7-cell vs 9-cell?

How many cases of beer do I owe now, DJ? :D

I jump a 7-cell spectre and its a great little canopy.

its easier to pack because you only have to be able to count the 8 instead of 10.

But seriously it opens sweet and on heading better than the other canopoies I have jumped.

Is there a good reason to get a 7-cell spectre vs a 9-cell pilot or such like?? Dunno go and test them as see which you prefer.

jezz

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers