skydiver8282

Line twists

Does anyone know what will cause line twists? On my second jump yesterday, my canopy twisted on opening and had two complete twist. That caused me to go into a violent flat spin until I got the twists out and released the brakes. Just looking for any ideas on what could have caused this. I pack the same every time and never had twists before.

Wow, flat spin and you were able to kick out of it, I think I would have cut away at that point. Where did you open at? How much alti lose before you had control?

Were both of your brakes still stowed?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Just to name a few:

1.) Your Body position matters.
2.) If you leave very little line unstowed when you put the D-bad into the container it can spin if it comes out unevenly from the container.
3.) A very tight stow on the bag can spin it.
4.) A spinning pilot chute can turn the bag at deployment.
5.) uneven inflation of the canopy due to asymetrical packing.

Does anyone know what will cause line twists? On my second jump yesterday, my canopy twisted on opening and had two complete twist. That caused me to go into a violent flat spin until I got the twists out and released the brakes. Just looking for any ideas on what could have caused this. I pack the same every time and never had twists before.

Is your profile correct? You managed to get a Skymaster 230 ft into a "violent" flat spin with only 2 line twists, is that correct? or even possible..
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

You managed to get a Skymaster 230 ft into a "violent" flat spin with only 2 line twists, is that correct? or even possible..

Hell dude, I've had a Sigma 370 in a violent spin before. It CAN happen. From linetwists alone...well, loot at it this way. He's only got a couple of jumps, he doesn't know what a full on flat spin is. I thought I knew until I started jumping a high wingloading on a high performance canopy.

It comes down to experience. If you haven't experienced it yet, its the craziest thing to date. So don't worry about it. To him it was a violent flat spin and I don't doubt it was radical, but don't worry about the minor details like what angle he was spining at. He had twists and was spinning. Would you liked to have had spinning linetwists with only a handful of jumps?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You managed to get a Skymaster 230 ft into a "violent" flat spin with only 2 line twists, is that correct? or even possible..

Hell dude, I've had a Sigma 370 in a violent spin before. It CAN happen. From linetwists alone...well, loot at it this way. He's only got a couple of jumps, he doesn't know what a full on flat spin is. I thought I knew until I started jumping a high wingloading on a high performance canopy.

It comes down to experience. If you haven't experienced it yet, its the craziest thing to date. So don't worry about it. To him it was a violent flat spin and I don't doubt it was radical, but don't worry about the minor details like what angle he was spining at. He had twists and was spinning. Would you liked to have had spinning linetwists with only a handful of jumps?

Hey dont get me wrong I was just asking. I was jumping 240ft main when I was a student a couple of time I had it twisted up, 3,4 twists in it and it would still be almost flying straight.

I had my spectre 170 with 4 twists in almost flying straight, and my sabre 150 with 2 twists in spun, but not to violently.

I appreciate that what might seem like violent flat spin the first time it happens probably isnt, but i was just a question, I wasnt doubting what you where saying skydiver8282, just asking the question.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

I had my spectre 170 with 4 twists in almost flying straight, and my sabre 150 with 2 twists in spun, but not to violently.

Yup, it comes down to where the links are (line tension per side). I've seen a Velocity flying straight as an arrow with 4 twists, BUT I've seen lower performance canopies spin FAST and get chopped.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you're just gonna critisize, then don't say anything.

I believe that the majority of linetwists are caused by bad body position.
Second to that would be not leaving enough lines in the packtray, as the d-bag will then leave cocked.

So, I would recommend that you focus on body position during deployment. I jumped one of those skymaster 230s during my days as a student, so I had my fair share of line twists on one.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

what ???

like this?????

B|;):)
j

... ( I think this pic was taken while it was STILL twisting UP...) it was a AFF video "work jump", and as last out, we deployed above 5000 feet. the canopy did not dive or spin,,,, and after some time it un twisted, I was clear at 2500 feet.....[:/] ( PD spectre 210) loaded 1: 1

Twists like those in the image happen to me a lot lately. No one can figure out what exactly it is that I'm doing wrong. It isn't body position, because I've had others pack it and had no problems. I know it has to be occurring somewhere between folding and putting the bag in the container. Though I guess it's possible that it could be the way that I'm routing the PC, but I don't think so.

I've never went into a spin (that I noticed) with line twists and under one or two occasions the slider was actually "inside" the line twists, which scared me, but I got out of it. As far as I can tell, every time it happens I'm flying straight.

It's bugging the shit out of me trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I suck at folding, which might be my problem, but no one thinks so.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

My vote goes for body position. I had a hard opening coupled with major line twists about a month ago. This bought an old motorbike neck injury back into focus. Since then I have been very conscious of my body position and my neck on opening.

This had exactly the wrong result, I had more line twists/bad openings in the next 10 jumps than the previous 200. Once I realized that I was tensing up and doing funny things with my neck and forced myself to relax, then the openings came back to nice, controlled and on heading.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein