LuckyMcSwervy

1-95 GA to DE - Interesting Sights?

Does anyone know of anything interesting to see immediately off 1-95 between Georgia and northern Delaware? I mean a quick stop to see something cool that you otherwise wouldn't know about unless someone told you?

I'm driving home and bored. I want to get home but not until my housesitters have left the house this evening. I love them but they talk my ears off and I'll just want to get home and go right to bed.

And please don't even think about trying to lure me into a secluded spot and abducting me. I'm protected. ;)
Always be kinder than you feel.

I can tell you that you probably want to avoid "South of the border" though you'll see the damn signs for a LONG time before you get there.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If I'm not mistaken your looking at 6 - 700 miles.
Your not going to get home before dark even without sight seeing considering some of the cities your rolling through that are going to slow you down.
You could pretty up the ride some without adding too much time if you get off 95 and head over to virginia beach and get on the 13.
Got yourself a nice bridge there and you'll avoid some of the 95 mess.

swisschris62

South of the border could possibly be the worst place to stop unless you like dirty bathrooms, shitty over priced food and unruly kids.

Sounds like Heaven to me!! :P

When I was a little kid, since my killjoy mother wouldn't fly, we would drive on family vacations. We stopped there once, it was the year Elvis died because on the drive home, as we were passing the White House, his death was announced on the radio. Anyway, even back then I remember it being horrid and my mom bitched about it the entire time.

Wonder where I get it from... :S:P:P:ph34r:

swisschris62

If I'm not mistaken your looking at 6 - 700 miles.
Your not going to get home before dark even without sight seeing considering some of the cities your rolling through that are going to slow you down.
You could pretty up the ride some without adding too much time if you get off 95 and head over to virginia beach and get on the 13.
Got yourself a nice bridge there and you'll avoid some of the 95 mess.

Yeah, I'm 813 miles from my front door. Richmond and DC are going to F me, as almost always. :S

Thanks for the alternate route option! :)

You got yourself a few miles ahead of you.
I got you having a full day without stopping to see sights.
Figure you've got about 12 hours of drive time ( easily 12), a couple of fuel stops and a bite to eat and your looking at 14 hours.
I got you being tired and glad to be home when you get there.
I average 7-800 miles a day but I do it all the time. I know when I take time off the first few days are a little rough.
Be safe and enjoy the ride.....

If you happen to be near the MD and PA border before dark and like eagles, try the Conowingo Dam. The Dam is on the Susquehanna River as part of Route 1 - not far from 95. It's eagle migration season and this is just about peak. There were about 100 eagles on Saturday. It's safe to go by yourself and people are mostly nice, a lot of regulars. A lot of the action is over the water and you can still see it, but the eagles regularly fight over fish and fly over us. They sound beautiful too. Safe travels.

A not very good picture from Saturday at Conowingo.
http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/photos/2401076/

-Lisa

swisschris62

You got yourself a few miles ahead of you.
I got you having a full day without stopping to see sights.
Figure you've got about 12 hours of drive time ( easily 12), a couple of fuel stops and a bite to eat and your looking at 14 hours.
I got you being tired and glad to be home when you get there.
I average 7-800 miles a day but I do it all the time. I know when I take time off the first few days are a little rough.
Be safe and enjoy the ride.....

590 from home. Rest Area now people watching and catching up on email for a minute or two.

I'm at a 9pm arrival time but I'm still going to stretch it a bit. I kind of wish I stayed in FLL an extra day but I've got my sprinkler guy coming to my house Thursday and I really want to be there to talk with him about moving some heads when spring comes around or if they do it now since I want to put up a shrub fence.

Well, back on the road. Lots of troopers out on this beautiful day! I need some Chik Fil A if I can ever pass one. Starving!!!

:)

If you want to save yourself the hassle and time of going thru Richmond and DC, take 295 N. when you are south of Richmond and head N. on 301. This way you totally avoid the Richmond to DC parking lot called 95 and the beltway.

You can get on 50 E. and go over the Bay Bridge, or go up 3 to 97 towards Baltimore.

Either way, drive safely and try to have a little fun! :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

If you want to save yourself the hassle and time of going thru Richmond and DC, take 295 N. when you are south of Richmond and head N. on 301. This way you totally avoid the Richmond to DC parking lot called 95 and the beltway.

You can get on 50 E. and go over the Bay Bridge, or go up 3 to 97 towards Baltimore.

Either way, drive safely and try to have a little fun! :)

Thanks!! This sounds like the winner. I did that when I drove down to Skydive The Point a while ago for a boogie. Added some time (on a Memorial Day weekend no less) but it did avoid the parking lot on 95. Plus , I do remember a shopping center with a spa I stopped at for a quick pedi and massage. I better step on it!! B|:D

Home at 11:30pm on the dizzy dot!

I'm glad I took the 295/301 route as I was able to pull over in a parking lot and watch the rocket launch!! That route added over an hour to the trip but all's well when you don't have to deal with Richmond/DC at rush hour.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!!

There's no place like home!! :$