alexey

Type III at reserve line attachment points

Who (exept) Precision use (or used?) that time of webbing?

It's not webbing. It's tape. There is a distint difference.

Did Presicion ever (before Sb 1221) use different type?

If yes - why did they change it?

Ask them. No one else is really going to know this answer, and anyone else that gives you and answer is probably speculating.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It's not webbing. It's tape. There is a distint difference.

You now, I usually add P.S. in my posts - Sorry for bad English... :) :) :)
In russian, we have only лента for all. :)
As per Poynter

In parachute work, the terms tape and webbing are used interchangeably though tape is usually the lighter-weight material...

But, I can misunderstud something...

Why am I asking?
Because I see in my rigging loft more and more second-hand Ravens. I read all the stuff about how Ravens opens, fly, how riggers evaluate PA products.

I cant say - "That is bad/good reserve" without additional info. Actually, now I wrining a article for magazine about all the history with Raven,and I trying to make that article max. neutrally...

And - I'd like to know -
If PA used different tape before - why did they change

If they used the same tape - why there was no info about damages.

If other manufacturers use the same tape - why they have no same problem.

Is the statment like this:

"When production of DM series was started, PA decided to change line attachment point to Type 3.
No other manufacturer use that type.
After some incidents they back for standart for that point type of the tape..."

try?

If not, why?

P.S. Sorry for long post and Bad English....

P.P.S. I send a letter to PA but didnt recieve any reply, so I have to ask riggers community about that...
Lexa

I see, so you're question is really more like "should Type III tape be used for line atachment points".

My take on it is that for a reserve I'd like to have the strongest material avaliable. Type III wouldn't be my first choice, but it is strong enought to be used in that application. It has been used for years on main parachutes including some of the hardest opening designs ever built.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Post: Who (exept) Precision use (or used?) that time of webbing?
Did Presicion ever (before Sb 1221) use different type?
If yes - why did they change it?
Lexa

Type III tape has been used in both main and reserve construction for many years. One of the earliest uses was the military MT-1X canopies (both main and reserve). The early Tempo reserves also used Type III for line attachment loops. In fact, when the Aerodyne Smart Reserve was first shown at the PIA Symposium in Jacksonville in 2003, it also had Type III tapes. Obviously all of these canopies could meet the stringent drop test requirements with this tape.

Virtually all sport main canopies use Type III including some canopies that had a history of hard openings (early PD Sabres).

Type III use has been proven over the years. But Skydiving has evolved from 120 mph freefall speeds to speed skydiving at speeds reaching 300 mph.

Stronger canopies typically lead to bulkier canopies. Ten years ago the demand was for smaller packing canopies. Today, with higher freefall speeds, strength rules over pack volume so even newer construction techniques, as well as materials are seen. If you examine the newest reserves (Precision r-Max), you will find that attachment tape material is woven spectra and it is no longer bartacked to the lowersurface, but integrated into the loadbearing rib structure.

Chris
Precision.Aero

[email protected]