Kdsosso

Packing question

The pin is always going to be pulled out in the direction of the pilot chute / opening on the BOC. It is easier (less risk of a pilot cute in tow) and lower wear on the container if the pin is already oriented in this direction. In other words, pin should point to the left for a right-hand BOC. Just like in mjosparky's diagram...

It's true that the pin is pulled in the direction of the pilot chute (perpendicular, more or less, to the rig with the jumper face-to-earth), but the difference between changing from pin-left to pin-right orientation is less than 1 degree of arc. I don't think you could measure the difference in pull force required for different pin orientations. Based on pin orientation alone, you are no more likely to tow a pilot chute with the pin pointing left, pointing right, or any position in between.

Mark

I you think you have an answer, great. But DON'T learn closing sequence from the forum. Look up the manual on line, get someone to SHOW you, and get someone to CHECK you after you do it yourself until your positive you know what to do.

I've seen many jumpers that have been packing for hundreds of jumps doing things "wrong". Couldn't have been too wrong because they lived but still wasn't right. One guy didn't know what the small velcro patch was for. Much of packing is opinion. And some of this is. But misrouting a bridle has killed lots of skydivers.

Now that I've scared you, don't worry, be happyB|;) It's not hard, just important. And no question about the thing that's supposed to save your life is stupid.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

AHHHH (this is me getting anxiety) All too technical for me....[:/]...

I have a plastic round orange thing on my right hand side...not sure if your calling that a BOC???

Evan...your post-too technical..I'm not a handy girl...LOL...LOL...

I am off to Big Way camp Wednesday, so I will get my rig re-packed by a real packer...just to make sure it is safe. I attempted to re-pack it like the diagram, but I'm still a bit confused and unsure of myself.:(

Thanks for everyone's help and YES I feel stupid....I really need to learn how to pack and should have learned a long time ago...lesson learned:|