donovan

info on saphire2's

Any experienced jumpers out there that can comment on the pros and cons of a saphire2 that is loaded at 1.4 for an intermediate jumper? I've read past posts and gear reviews but wanted some feedback from some people with more experience as well.

It's Safire2, and how "intermediate", is intermediate to you?

It's a nice opening canoy. Performance is in the Sabre 2, Pilot, Fusion, catagory. 1.4 wingloading is nothing to laugh at though. The Original Safire had a problem with a very weak flair. The Safire2 addressed that somewhat, but still leave a bit to be desired.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I've enjoyed mine. Bought it new and put about 600 jumps on it. It's never given me a reason to cut it away. In that time it's given me 1 hard opening, and a couple brisk ones. Opens in about 750'. Surfs fine. Flares fine. Toggle pressure's fine. Anytime I've had line twists it was nice and stable... hasn't thrown me on my back or spun up on me. Very forgiving of sloppy pack jobs. You can pro-pack it or psycho pack it and it opens about the same. Flies through turbulance well. I don't hook turn landings so I can't comment on things pertaining to that, but I can build some decent speed using double fronts.

Pentration into the wind may be a tad less than my friends get with their sabre 2's.

It's been a while since I jumped other canopies, so I can't really do the compare contrast thing. But these have been my experiences with it.

I guess I'll get a line set one of these days and put another 500 on it.

Might think about that 1.4 wl thing. Pretty sporty...

Is this the kind of feedback you were looking for?
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I have about 150 jumps on a safire2 169 loaded at 1.4. I would not call that loading intermediate.

The canopy performed beautifully. Glide was phenominal. Penetration into wind was beyond what most similar mid range nine cells of that size I flew got (imo). Flare was excellent, but I didnt have any problems with my origonal safire either.

Make sure you have the required skill before you jump any canopy loaded at 1.4. Seek coaching if you dont know if you do or not.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

The Original Safire had a problem with a very weak flair. The Safire2 addressed that somewhat, but still leave a bit to be desired.

Oh, come on, don't start it again. Safire's flare isn't weak. I would event say it better than Sabre's. I have Safire 1 (built by Precision) and it has an awesome flare! W/L is somewhere between 1.28 (jumping almost naked :$) and 1.4 (a lot of weight for jumping with anvil-type people). Never tried to load it more. Never wanted it though B|
I've jumped 3 Safires (all built by Precision), they all had strong flare.

my experience with my safire loaded at 1.6 was it had monster flare. and that was before I even had it worked on by derek. once I had the performance mod my opening issues were resolved and I then had way more flare than i really even needed. is is all about using the available toggle stroke. if you stop flaring before your hands are all the way down you lost alot of flare left in the stroke.:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

It's a nice opening canoy. Performance is in the Sabre 2,

Except the openings don't suck.

Pilot, Fusion, catagory. 1.4 wingloading is nothing to laugh at though. The Original Safire had a problem with a very weak flair. The Safire2 addressed that somewhat, but still leave a bit to be desired.

The flare of the Safire2 is deep, not weak.

As for the original question, I load mine at 1.42 and love it, but I fully agree with diablopilot that it's by no means intermediate at this WL. Intermediate would be 1.1-ish. Just because it's not a Velocisplat doesn't mean it's docile at any WL.

Again, define Intermediate. I got mine, loaded 1.41, at 173 jumps. I think I was a bit agressive, there. It took 20-30 jumps before I was super confident with the canopy. I hate to think what would have happened if I had of been cut-off on final during that time.

That being said, it's a wonderfull canopy. Openings are a dream(bit slow on hop & pops), and flies stable in all flight modes. I'd recomend it to anybody. 200+/- jumps? Load it a bit lighter.

BTW, the flare is HUGE. So what if it takes full arm extension to finish it? That's a flight characteristic, not a flaw. Besides, a large controll range will make the canopy easier to fly for a Novice-Intermediate jumper.(Less "twitch-y")

It's Safire2, and how "intermediate", is intermediate to you?

It's a nice opening canoy. Performance is in the Sabre 2, Pilot, Fusion, catagory. 1.4 wingloading is nothing to laugh at though. The Original Safire had a problem with a very weak flair. The Safire2 addressed that somewhat, but still leave a bit to be desired.

I load my Safire2 at 1.5.1 I wouln't say mine has a weak flare
I very rarly have to bring the toggles down past my shoulders
I did shorten the brake lines when new as under full flight they in my opinion had to much bow
For a fully eliptical canopy it has an exellent glide ratio
May be my only gruntle is that it dosen't hold a dive as long as some other canopys

As some one mentioned very nice openings I trash trash pack (line check, grab the nose no rolling or separating,
no flaking, roll the tail very tight, an in the bag. I always double wrap the line stows (using rubber bands (to me that is most important))
Oh an quater the slider

Gone fishing