RMK

Xbox 360 info needed

My son wants an Xbox for his 8th Birthday. I’m very much a closet tech geek, so fully understand the tech specs, but have never cared for video games – so I’m out of the loop as to which is the best Xbox model the best and why.

If someone could please save me an hour of internet searching on Xbox models/specs, it would be greatly appreciated. He’s also into Minecraft (which I honestly don’t get either). He has use of a computer, but I have no idea if it's nicer to play Minecraft on a PC vs Xbox.

Thanks in advance for any advice
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Xbox 360 is the slightly older model. You have more choice of games on the 360 than the xbox 1. But unless you are a really liberal parent I think you still struggle to find xbox games suitable for an 8 yr old.

Definitely better to play on than a pc though.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

360 is almost ten years old. They are really inexpensive used but still sell for quite a bit new. If you go that route shop around. You should be able to find one fairly cheap. But some games will require a kinect sensor add on. Do you have a budget?

It does much more than play games. You can stream videos if you don't already have such a device. I have plex media server on a pc that I store my movies on and then stream them threw the 360. Also netflix and all the other streaming apps. My son who just turned 9 loves his although I allow him to play some games that others would not. I race others all over the world on Forza 4. I would love the newer xbox one but have not picked one up yet.

What kind of games does he want to play? Some kids do better on something like a Wii for all the kids games. I have one of those with games and extra remotes I would sell cheap but again it is old tech.

Minecraft is better on a PC and it does not need a super powerful PC like many of the games do.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

The xbox 360 has a bajiilion games - like the others said you should be able to get a unit for a fair price as it is an older console - there are some really cute games for it using the connect sensor - it reads your body position and movements to replicate them on the game - the snowboard one my kid and me plays wears me out :)

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

As others have mentioned Xbox 360 has been superseded by the Xbox1. You cannot play old 360 games on the new "1"console. Microsoft are still releasing new games for the 360 but not all of their new releases are available for the 360. I would imagine that before too long, they will stop producing games for the 360 altogether so you will be stuck with games already released. In saying that, there are literally hundreds of games out there for the 360. The 360 comes in different size hard drives for storing game data so you need a decent size hard drive if a lot of different games are going to be played.
Both consoles can use a movement sensor bar (Kinect) for some games. I can't speak for the Xbox1 but on the 360 it's shit and I wouldn't waste my money.
Right now there is a very limited amount of games (about 80) available for the Xbox1 with about half of them sports games. The majority of the other half are M rated or higher.
So.... you need to decide if some of the games currently available on the "1" console are suitable for your kids (Minecraft is available on the "1" console). If so and the budget allows, get the "1" as it will give you the latest and greatest games with unbelievable graphics and the opportunity to keep buying new games. If not get the 360.
FWIW, my son loves Minecraft and plays it on the 360 instead of the PC. He likes the controls better than a mouse and keyboard.
My 0.02c. Hope this helps. :)

Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

i got a 360 for my son for christmas, he didn't want the xbox 1 because he had his favorite games. it was brand new with an internal 250 gb hard drive with two games, a wireless controller and a headset for $200 from walmart online. sweet deal. i have friends who swear by the play station, however. it is all preference. i am not sure if they have minecraft though.