RyanofOZ

Pack volume Question (sabre2, safire2, spectre)

Hello,

I have an Icon I6 container with a Spectre210 in it. I am thinking of getting either a Sabre2, Pilot, or Safire2 and want to know how they compare in pack volume.

The I6 will hold up to a 210 pilot, but what about the other canopies? The Spectre I have is a tight fit as it is. I would think a 9 cell would pack even bigger than my 7 cell so....

How do they compare in pack volume? can I expect a big difference from the Spectre, or will they be pretty close?

I have emailed the mfgr. but wanted to know your opinions also.

Thanks
Oz

I have about 600 jumps on a spectre 190. I demoed a sabre2-170 and now own a Pilot-168. The sabre2 and the pilot pack a little bit smaller than the larger spectre, but not a lot. It is certainly true that a spectre 170 will pack smaller than a sabre2-170. Generally speaking, a 9-cell will pack bigger than the same square footage of 7-cell canopy.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

In all honesty, you really will be able to fit it in there. If you were shown a couple of tricks on how to pack small you would probably even be able to fit something as big as a 240 in there.

Containers will generally (I mean generally) take one size bigger and one size smaller than they were built for.

If it's built for a 210 you could even put something slightly larger in there... with a struggle... and it probably wouldn't be a great idea for the kit long term... but it would go.

As for something the same "size" but with more cells... yes it will pack bigger... but the difference is far less than that between two different sizes.

Bottom line is - if the manual says your container will take a pilot 210 - don't sweat it, it will take pretty much any 9 cell 210 canopy.

*some designs may not fit - specifically student, CRW or accuracy mains which sometimes hve much greater pack volumes than their size would suggest*