RMK

Adidas - an interesting background

I was noting that Americans mispronounce Adidas (correct pronunciation is ['adi das’ ] as it is short for the founders name Adolf “Adi” Dassler); OK, you’ll never get that Run DMC song out of your head and will always pronounce it [‘uh deeh duz’].

However, when looking up the background on Wiki, it’s quite an interesting story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adidas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Dassler

I didn’t know that he and his brother split up and his brother started Puma or that Adi was the first with sports endorsements, by giving Jesse Owen shoes for the 1936 Berlin Olympics. He and his brother hated each other; I liked the following excerpt:

...When handymen were called to Rudolf's home (his brother who started Puma), they would deliberately wear Adidas shoes. Rudolf would tell them to go to the basement and pick out a pair of free Pumas. The two brothers were never reconciled and although both are now buried in the same cemetery, they are spaced apart as far as possible.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

that Adi was the first with sports endorsements, by giving Jesse Owen shoes for the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

That part of the story isn't quite true.

Dassler (GDS) supplied shows to Olympians in the 1928 Olympics.

The Jesse Owens deal was supposedly the first sponsorship of an African American.

Both brothers were also Nazis.

Just got that from the Wiki page only; I've not read anything on the story before.

No, they don't come across as "nice" guys, just a more colourful story than I would have imagined.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"