JohnRich

Cutaway Cable Length

Nancy's e-mail returns an automatic message that she is away, in Croatia for the world meet of Style & Accuracy. Someone else is picking up her e-mail for her, and may respond while she is away.

John,

I am confused why you would come to the forums vs calling the manufacture. If you send me a PM with the serial number of your container I will address the issue. If you had called us first your issue would have already been resolved.

Stay safe,
Mike Forsythe
Jump Shack

I am confused why you would come to the forums vs calling the manufacture

DZ.com is a cool place to sit back and ask whatever you want, knowing that sooner or later..something usefull will come along...but knowing that the manufacturers are ever willing to help you is a reconforting thought...congratulations mike on your good customer service intentions.

Felipe.
--
Blue Skies
NO FEARS, NO LIMITS, NO MONEY...
"A Subitánea et Improvísa Morte, Líbera nos, Domine."

Exposed cutaway cable varies between 3.5 and 7 inches on different rigs.
3.5 is only seen on student rigs with SOS and they need special riser channels to hide cable ends.
Everyone else has 5 to 7 inches of exposed cable.
On a Racer they should be even, because of the cross-connector style RSL. Everyone else should have their RSL-side cable 1 inch longer.
To simplify stocking, etc. most manufacturers make replacement handles too long, with the expectation that local riggers will trim them to less than 7 inches.
Instructions on how to trim cutaway cables are available from Rigging Innovations and SunPath.

Worries about uneven cables - causing tumbles after cutaways - are silly. Chances are the main canopy was violently unstable before you decided to cut it away.

I am confused why you would come to the forums vs calling the manufacture. If you send me a PM with the serial number of your container I will address the issue. If you had called us first your issue would have already been resolved.

Hi Mike. I first tried contacting the rigger who was the dealer for the rig purchase. He was out of town. Then I tried Nancy, who I dealt with on the order, and she was out of town. It was Friday, and I was hoping to jump the rig on Saturday, so I was looking for a quick answer as to whether or not I should worry about jumping this cable configuration. I knew I'd get a quick and knowledgeable answer in this forum. I also sent a simultaneous e-mail to the manufacturer, which was a duplicate of what was posted here.

Please notice that I attempted to keep the manufacturer's name out of the discussion. However, people here were knowledgeable enough to figure it out anyway.

I am not blaming the manufacturer here, nor suggesting any kind of negligence. The readers here should presume no such thing from my comments. I was simply trying to find a quick answer, and I knew this is a good place for that. I've been jumping Racer rigs for 23 years, which should indicate how highly I think of them.

A manufacturer representative has since responded, and suggested that the problem may be that the cable housing was "extended", or stretched beyond it's normal length, after installation. A new housing is on the way to my rigger, for replacement.

Thanks for your help.