RustyOats

Change EP's for Skyhook?

I received the following information from a long time 20+ years and thousands or jumps jumper who is professionally involved in gear sales and design.

1) Regarding Skyhook reliability- I've heard from a few people now that feel that the Skyhook disconnects prematurely after pulling the reserve pin about 15% of the time. This is primarily in reference to tandem jumps, I don't know if a sport rig would be better or worse.

2) If you have a partially collapsed main (for whatever reason) and simply pull your reserve, there's a good chance that the reserve PC won't produce enough drag to break the red seal thread that is holding the RSL lanyard to the Skyhook, resulting in a reserve pilot chute in tow. I have video (provided by UPT) that shows one of their test jumpers deploying the reserve under an open and flying main (simulated AAD fire late in main deployment). The PC simply inflates and tows behind the jumper. Then they cutaway the main- once with the RSL snap shackle connected to the riser, and once without. With the RSL snap shackle connected, the Skyhook deployed the reserve like you would expect- the one with the RSL snap shackle DISconnected didn't. The reserve PC towed behind the jumper for two full seconds before it created enough drag to break the seal thread and initiate the deployment of the reserve. I have no idea who else they shared these videos with, so I will not distribute them, even though I think jumpers should see them to help understand their gear a bit more.

.3) Simply deploying your reserve into a partial main at low altitude has been the preferred EP for a LONG time with the theory of "getting more material overhead", but you can't count on the canopies not entangling. Honestly, if you end up with a parital main (for whatever reason) below, say, 500' and you have a Skyhook, I think the odds are in your favor that you can cut away and get a Skyhook deployment. But that is about your only option if the reserve PC would simply tow if you fire your reserve first, and I don't like limited options in a scenario like that. It is certainly a situation where EP's need to be re-evaluated if jumping with a Skyhook connected.

Any thoughts on this? If true it would dictate a change in EPs for partial canopies below 1k. Makes me a little nervous as I have had a skyhook in my rig for season always thinking that it doesn't effect the outcome if I pull the silver handle.

I'm hesitant to post this as I don't want to bag on a good device but I am curious how much validity there is to this, if it seems there is none I'll pull the entire post but considering the source there seems to be some and it I'd like to find out on the internet and not in the air.

-RO

Interesting.

Is the seal thread an essential item in the assembly or can it be removed?
Isn't it primarily there to ensure the bridle/PC/freebag remains attached to the main after Skyhook activation?

The seal thread is required as per the packing instructions. Riggers that don't pack it with the thread installed are violating the law by not packing in accordance with the mfgr's instructions.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have video (provided by UPT) that shows one of their test jumpers deploying the reserve under an open and flying main (simulated AAD fire late in main deployment). The PC simply inflates and tows behind the jumper. Then they cutaway the main- once with the RSL snap shackle connected to the riser, and once without. With the RSL snap shackle connected, the Skyhook deployed the reserve like you would expect- the one with the RSL snap shackle DISconnected didn't. The reserve PC towed behind the jumper for two full seconds before it created enough drag to break the seal thread and initiate the deployment of the reserve. I have no idea who else they shared these videos with, so I will not distribute them, even though I think jumpers should see them to help understand their gear a bit more.

Are you sure that it's the seal thread and not the hesitation (staging) loop?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Seal threads are mostly a US thing - you don't commonly encounter them any more in many other countries.

Even on skyhook?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Seal threads are mostly a US thing - you don't commonly encounter them any more in many other countries.

I understand that sealing the reserve pins on rigs is not universally required.

But are you saying that non-US riggers commonly omit the manufacturer's instruction to tie a single loop of seal thread around the Skyhook device?

To be clear, this is not the same as sealing the rig.

I understand that sealing the reserve pins on rigs is not universally required.

But are you saying that non-US riggers commonly omit the manufacturer's instruction to tie a single loop of seal thread around the Skyhook device?

To be clear, this is not the same as sealing the rig.

probably that's what he meant..

as far as reserves go, i got from nothing, to a sticker on the kickerplate or whatever you call that, to the lead-seal..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda