jedeisurf

CYPRES 12 YEAR CYCLE

>Sort of like jumping with an out-of-date reserve.

I think it's pretty clear that while the pilot can be held responsible for allowing a rig to jump that's obviously out of date, if you're a rigger and you falsify maintenance records, the fault lies with you and not with him. His responsibility ends when he verifies that the packing data card indicates the rig is in-date and airworthy.

>Why, would you want to take a chance with your own rig as well as your life?

Personally, there are many things I would risk that I would not let other people using my gear risk. My risk threshold for myself is higher than for other people I jump with/organize for/instruct. I've done a bunch of intentional cutaways (with a 3 canopy system) but I wouldn't let most people borrow that gear and use it themselves. There are several maintenance items that I let go for longer when I'm using them (like riser lifetimes and velcro replacement) compared to when I give someone else advice on gear maintenance.

Not meaning to start some kinda 'war' here but, if I may quote from SSK Industries as well as the Cypres Owner's Manual: "Lifetime for CYPRES is 12 years plus 3 months from original date of manufacture." So, there!;)

Chuck

A nod, is as good as a wink, to a blind horse.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. --Da Vinci

AFAIK Da Vinci never got there :)Charles Lindbergh OTOH...

O well - it is in print on the internet therefore it must be true...

BTW: (ethical question for all, not directed at you) what about the guy that was saved in Rantoul by an out of date Cypres.

Tar and Feathers? Public Flogging? B|

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...