johnnyboy

Helmet Question for a newbie

Hello everyone,

I have a quick question for you. Recently, I began purchasing some used gear, and I came across a frappe hat from Ralph. With only 15 jumps under my belt, I just wanted to know if it is safe for me to wear instead of a hard helmet.

If possible, I would like some feedback on the advantages and disadvantages of both, and more importantly, if I made the right decision to purchase it, which I did :)
Thank you all SOOOOOOO much!!!!!

BLUE SKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
jumpers ARE better all around people than whuffos

Its been hugely debated, you might want to try a quick search.

The short answer is people disagree if the Frap hat is dangerous and can actually cause a head injury, but just about everyone agrees that a simple Pro-Tec is about the best helmet for protection you can buy short of a Bell.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Billy Weber wears a frappe hat and he has well over 10000 jumps. Headgear is optional. As you get more experienced you will decide for yourself what you are comfortable with. The sport is as risky as you make it. I only have a little over 400 jumps but I would suggest a hardhat and a AAD. You never know when you might become unconscious whether bumpity bump off the plane or bumpity bump off of some individual in freefall.

Actually, that is a very good question. I have not read up on the revised SIM in a very long time. I am not a coach or instructor so I would not be qualified to answer your question. When I got off of level 8 and surpassed 20 jumps I stopped wearing a helmut. What is it now for a C License? 100 Jumps?? As I became more experienced I started to realize the added safety that comes from wearing a helmut. Helmuts also allow you to utilize all the neat gadgets like cameras and Pro Trackers/dytters, etc. Of course, having a camera on your head is more dangerous than no head gear at all.

Thank you all VERY much for your inputs. I got much more info than I expected. Unfortunately for me, I ordered a frappe (frap) hat before I posted the original message and it came in today. From what everyone here has said, it sounds like I shouldnt be wearing it. The reason I bought it instead of a hard helmet was because of the price. I couldnt afford a new hard helmet so i got this used frap instead.
But, since I took ALL your advice into consideration, just a few minutes ago, I talked to Ralph, and he found me a used pro-tec for $25, cant go wrong with that.
Additionally, you have all also provided me with more thought on a new question I didnt even know to ask: Is it even legal for me to wear a leather soft hat? I dont even have an A license yet. I just got the SIM, but with my law school homework, I dont have time to look at it until December (the same time I plan on finishing my requirements for my A license). So if anyone can answer that question for me, that would be great.
Now, I also havent really heard anyone here say anything good about the frap hat. I did hear that Mr Weber wears one, but he also has 10,000 jumps under his belt. My former jumpmaster wore one, but he had somewhere between 10,000-15,000 jumps as well. I know they both know how to land and avoid injury, but I dont think I am ready for that.
So, should I keep the hat until I get good enough? Will I ever be able to wear it? Is it legal to wear it? And more importantly, has it ever really worked in saving someone from head injuries? and if so, what accidents led to those prevented injuries?
I really, and I mean really appreciate everyone's input. I dont get out very much and I love this site. Unfortunately, I dont always have internet access, so please dont be offended if I cannot respond to you as quickly as I would like.
Thank you all very very very very much, and one more important question: DOES ANYONE HERE JUMP AT TAFT?!?!?!!?! :)
jumpers ARE better all around people than whuffos

;)Hey Johnny... Are you going to be out in Taft this weekend? We will be out on Saturday... As far as the "Frap Hat" goes, I would have to agree with the previous posts on the "Pro-Tec" advice. Keep the frap hat, but continue wearing the hard helmet unitl you get your landings down. I bought a Frap Hat right off student status, only for "Hair Protection", but after seeing a picture of myself in it, I quit wearing it.(Ha HA).. Anyway, stick with the pro-tec but hang onto the frap hat, you can never have enough gear:ph34r:...I would also suggest the pro-tec now that you are going to start doing 2-ways, 3-ways, etc.... It is good to have the noggin protected while trying to learn to turn points, (just in case you come around right into someones foot!) Hope to see you this weekend..

Lori