BlindBrick

Batteries for an Astra AAD

Bak in the day, I heard mention that the Astra battery pack was not a proprietary item, but rather an off the shelf component that could be obtained at some hardware stores. I tried calling FXC, but the person that I talked too said they could only answer questions that weren't technical.

Therefore, I was wondering if anyone here knows if that's true, and if so, what the model number or specs are.

-Jackmc
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

From FXC's website: Astra battery
part number 811-00374
lithium
US$45.
voltage 9.5 when new and 7.5 when due for replacement

At arm's length, Astra batteries are twined, similar to Cypres batteries.
I have an Astra at work and will try to send you more details tomorrow.

Proprietary? Hah!

(Yes this is an old thread.)

I just took apart an old Astra battery pack. Under the plastic wrap it is just 3 Duracell 2/3A lithium batteries nicely soldered together with custom terminals at the end of the pack.

Those 2/3A = "two thirds the size of an A battery" units are also known as CR123 camera batteries.

The 3V are in series so the Astra works on a nominal 9V.

Soldering batteries together reliably isn't trivial so I wouldn't start buying the individual Duracell batteries locally. But FXC could have made a battery holder instead of insisting on buying packs from them.

Not that it matters much, nobody really uses Astras, their adverts were hokey, they never updated their web page, and it sounds like their code was extremely simplistic.