Chrisky

How to tell apart AAD or Reserve Pull

due to the configuration of the closing loop on the reserve, the cypres had activated prior to the reserve ripcord being pulled

(from an incident post)
How do you analyze this? Will the riggers' seal thread hold the loop around the reserve pin if the AAD cuts the loop? Will the seal fit through the hard housing if the cable is pulled out (if the handles are tucked away)?
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

On some rigs the cypres cutter is on the first closing flap. Thus, when you pull the ripcord and the spring launches the loop is pulled out of the cutter. On this rig if the loop is cut the cypres beat the pull. If the cutter is fired but the loop isn't cut, the pull was before the cypres.

On others the cutter is on the bottom of the container and even after opening the loop is going through the cutter. On this one, unless the cut loop is held by the ripcord, you wouldn't be sure which happened first.

edited Just read the incident report. On a Javelin the cutter is against the back sooooo, the cut loop may have been held to the ripcord by the sealing thread, it may have been pulled into the housing, on any other number off variations.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I don't look for an excuse, i was looking for insight.
Reread my question, please.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...