nael

Converting Velcro Riser Covers

I am looking at buying a rig with velcro riser covers, and would like to get them changed to flaps that tuck underneath. I spoke to a rigger today about it who said it was too difficult to do and if it was done and screwed up in the middle of it theres no going back.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with this being done successfully (or otherwise).
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

I am not a rigger, but the best thing IMO to do is to contact the manufacturer and have them take care of it. I had a Dolphin which had hideous velcro riser covers, and Mike Furry at Altico modified it to tuck-tabs in a matter of days.
As far as I know, all of the major manufacturers will retrofit velcro riser covers with tucktabs..
=========Shaun ==========

That sounds like a good idea, the only problem is it's a Vector, and I assume the manufacturer of these is in the US? I am in Australia, so sending it to the manufacturer isnt really an option. [:/]

Some time ago Bill Booth said something about these modifications not being authorized or recommended by RWS. (Do a search on this site, I am too lazy right now...:P)
To put it in a nutshell his advice was to buy a new Vector.:S

I have the same problem, being the owner of a wonderful
Vector II which I love very much despite the fact that I won't be able to take into a head down.

If you want to freefly, buy a rig that's been constructed for this kind of flying.

I'm not planning on freeflying for at least 150-200 jumps, so thats not a problem. I was speaking to a friend about this and he said that that sort of modification would require the manufacturer re-testing it to make sure it functioned properly which would get costly and basically not worth buying the rig. His advice - new velcro per 200 jumps. Sounds like the way to go.

despite the fact that I won't be able to take into a head down.

Not just headdown. Even sit can become a problem. Did that on a Vector 2 with worn Velcro, should have known better (But it was that w/ my 120 or Student gear w/260 Mantas...). The loose toggle smacked my armpit like a whip, hurt like hell and gave a hand-sized bruise....
Luckily my Wings arrived the following weekend.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...