Schitzgerald

New and addicted

Hi, I'm new to this amazing sport, and I have so many questions.
First of all I had my first tandem jump last week in Chicago and it was the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me. Ever since I jumped it's almost depressing being on the ground. Like every second I spend on the ground is a waste of time lol.
I know I want to keep jumping so I can do a non-tandem jump but with a trainer so I can decide if I want to get my Class A.
I'm from Iowa, so if anyone can give me any pointers on the best places in Iowa to work on my license I would greatly appreciate it.
Also what are some good websites or reading material to get me started and better prepared for my next jumps.
And lastly when we jumped and were in freefall it was hard to breath because the fast wind put me off guard. I was wondering if there is a better technique so I'm not holding my breath for the first 15 seconds.
Thank you

Welcome to the forums! :)This is an awesome website for you to learn about skydiving. Poke around and let us know if you have questions about something you've read.
As for breathing, I never really think about it. As you jump more, I'm sure you will be more relaxed. There's a lot to take in on your first jump!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've never had any trouble breathing in the air or in the sky. I jumped an open face helmet from July 2012 up to a couple months ago and really like the wind in my face. I've heard the tandem instructors tell students that if they're having trouble breathing, they're looking down and should look out to the horizon.

I noticed myself and a fair number of other people get so excited early on that they do tend to forget to breathe. I still have to remind myself to continue to breathe normally sometimes, particularly at 18,000 feet. Breathing is rather underrated, especially since we kind of need to keep doing it to go on living. Most people never pay any attention to it at all.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

The book "The Parachute And It's Pilot" is helpful to learn about the canopy and how it flies. That knowledge is important when you are flying the canopy.

The SIMhttp://sim.uspa.org/ section 4 might help you understand what the training and student work will be like. Some instructors have slightly different ways of teaching this or that but the SIM is good to know and some say "written in the blood of those that went before us".

Take most of what you read on the Internet with a grain of salt. When it comes to your actual training, your instructors are your primary guide and trump other sources.

Welcome to the sport.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I remember my first Tandem jump all too well, and I can absolutely relate to the breathing problems. I too had a hard time breathing on my very first Tandem jump, simply because it was a whole new experience and a mix of so many emotions combined with the 200km/h wind in your face with nothing but a pair of plastic glasses on your eyes.

But don't worry, if you start to jump with your own parachute on your back (with AFF or Static line) you will learn to look at the horizon and breathing will become natural as if you're just standing on the ground. It's hard to imagine I'm sure, but the difference is breathtaking. (Haha, get it.... breathtaking? No???)

Either way, I have no idea how strong the seasons are at your living area, but with winter approaching it might be something to consider waiting with your plans to follow courses till next summer starts. That way you will have a lot better weather, and a lot more time on your hands to work on your jumps and eventually get a license.

Whatever you do, good luck with it! And of course, blue skies!

The breathing issue is one thing that keeps my boyfriend grounded too, I think. I asked him once what he thought was the scariest part of diving and he said not being able to breathe (for me, it's the plane ride up--I'm claustrophobic and it's pretty close quarters. Surprisingly I felt better my first time being second out and sitting on the floor of the plane; I don't think that's common for new divers).

I'm new to the sport--just passed AFF--and I still gasp when the door comes up. At that point I'm already doing deep breathing to keep myself calm and present, and it helps to keep doing it when the wind rushes in. After a few more jumps, you'll learn that you can indeed catch your breath; you just have to remember to breathe. Sensory overload is really common, and it can cause you to forget to breathe, but it eases the more jumps you do. At this point, 13 jumps total (10 solo/AFF, 3 tandem), I have no trouble breathing in the air. I think it stopped being an issue on my first AFF jump, or first non-tandem. So just keep it up! :)
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.

Schitzgerald

...And lastly when we jumped and were in freefall it was hard to breathe because the fast wind put me off guard. I was wondering if there is a better technique so I'm not holding my breath for the first 15 seconds.
Thank you

Scream as you go out the door.

Yes, I'm serious.

It's not the "fast wind" that gives you trouble. It's a psychological effect that stops you from exhaling. You breathe in, breathe in some more, then try to breathe in more - but your lungs are full and you can't. So you think "I can't breathe."

Screaming forces you to exhale, and once you get started breathing properly, you'll be fine.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If youre in Iowa, I suggest Des Moines Skydivers. I went through their AFF program and our instructors are top notch. We also have a really large fun jumper crowd and the vibe there is one you wont find anywhere else. Since its getting late in the year I doubt we have another FJC coming up, but keep in touch in the spring when we have some coming up!