DanielJCook105

Hello From Mississippi

Hi everyone. My name is Daniel and I'm from Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I'm currently a student at the University of Southern Mississippi and I graduate in May.

On Saturday, the 7th, I did my first ever (tandem) skydive.... and I've become hooked already. I went for my birthday thinking that it'd be a one-time thing (especially if I died). I couldn't get anyone else to even consider going with me, so I went by myself. Little did I know that it would be the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me.

I want to go back and do the AFF; however, I graduate in May and I don't want to start doing an AFF course at this DZ and then have to start over at another one. I'd rather just go through the full course at whatever DZ is close to wherever I wind up getting a job at. So, until then, I'm going to be hanging around and trying to learn anything and everything that I can... that way when I can start jumping I'll have at least a little knowledge under my belt.

The sad thing for me is that it hasn't even been a week yet and I'm slowly losing that amazing feeling that I had. I've been grinning like an idiot for these last few days. I think the hardest thing for me will be throwing myself out the door.. that or not doing something stupid like forgetting to deploy the parachute. (I feel like that's kind of important.)

I'm glad to be here and I can't wait to talk to all of y'all and learn more!

Maybe talk someone into giving you a vacation to iFLY Orlando wind tunnel as a graduation gift. You could put in an hour or two in the tunnel and very possibly be way ahead of the game by acquiring freefall flying skills before you begin AFF training.

Keep close track of their iFLY Orlando facebook page or call them and check occasionally for overnight camps (about $10/minute w/coaching+tip and a dvd of flights or a weekly membership as described below from an old ad:

iFLY Orlando
April 17, 2014 ·

Attention Skydivers!

iFLY Orlando will be hosting another weekly membership from April 27th through May 3rd This includes five 15 minute blocks for just $650, tax included! That's nearly a $500 discount!

Email [email protected] to reserve your spot before time books up!

Or their is iFLY Austin since they're both about the same distance from Hattiesburg but iFLY Orlando has the best prices and damn good coaches.

Lookout u may wind up preferring the tunnel - more freefall time / dollar. LOL

I'm thinking the opposite of Skymama ....[:/].... You won't get work right away. If you have $1200 or so, take the AFF course where you are. You can do it in less than a week if staff is available. Then move when you move and jump where you move. Life is short. Don't let this moment pass you by. That is my opinion.

Life is short ... jump often.

Hi Daniel,
Welcome to the forum and your new addiction. I discovered a wealth of knowledge here and I'm sure you will as well.
Try not to focus on the scary what-ifs at this point. AFF training provides intense support and will address your concerns. For now, remember how awesome it felt to do that tandem, then multiply it by a thousand B|

~ New student in AFF

I know what it is like to want to be in the air but have limited options.

There is nothing wrong with starting at one DZ and continuing somewhere else. That is why the USPA has a standard training program.

A Static line or IAD jump is more affordable ($55-$75 commonly) if you just want some way to get back into the sky. It is a training option that is often overlooked by many. If you are bent on doing AFF that is fine. But before AFF, you could do SL or IAD jumps, maybe one or two a month and practice canopy flying. You could have a little cake and eat a little too, between now an the time you get to where you can seriously pursue the sport.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I'm thinking the opposite of Skymama ....Unsure.... You won't get work right away.

I guess it all depends on how strong his resume and interviewing skills are. My son got a great corporate job right out of college, it's possible. Everyone is different though!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I agree with sky mama. I payed the 1200 for AFF then went broke trying to pay for coach jumps and gear rental every week. I stopped jumping for about 4 months saved every penny I could. then finished my A license got all my own gear and had money left over to keep jumping for last 5 weekends. Whenever someone gets "hooked" after tandem my advice is to have to money so you can go at it 100%.