dorado_bite

The addiction begins...

Hello fellow addicts, my name is Paul. Had my first tandem jump 2 weeks ago, signed up for my first AFF the following weekend & I'll be finishing my AFF L7 jump this Saturday. Looking forward to getting my A license & beginning the search for a good used rig. Everyone at my local DZ Skydive San Diego has made this an amazing experience so far & I'm eagerly awaiting the journey that will follow. Fair winds & blue skies...

Make sure you don't pay too much for somebody's old gear! People often try to dump their old $#@+ on newbies before it depreciates to $0. You can pickup a brand new rig from chutingstar for $6,250. If you assume that a rig has a useful life of around 20 years, then I wouldn't pay anymore than:

$4,687.50 for a 5 year old rig

$3,125.00 for a 10 year old rig

$1,562.50 for a 15 year old rig

megamalfunction

Make sure you don't pay too much for somebody's old gear! People often try to dump their old $#@+ on newbies before it depreciates to $0...

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I ended up getting my stuff new. As long as I didn't mind the lead time, I could get new gear for about 10-20% more than what people were asking for stuff with a thousand jumps on it. And a new rig custom-ordered would fit me a lot better than the used stuff.

Might be worth considering a new rig and an old Sabre 1, though. There's just something about those old Sabres that really make you not mind so much the bruises you get every time the damn things open...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Thanks for the heads up. I was considering going the new custom order route but I found a great deal on here on a newer rig & now I'm just waiting for it to ship out. Going to have the rig inspected & main/reserve repacked. I plan on renting for a few dozen jumps before hopefully being able to safely transition into my new 168 1.1WL Aerodyne Pilot.