RoaminRabbitt

Thrill Seeker New to the Sport from Siesta Key, FL

Hey folks,

I just recently moved back to the States and down to Florida and I LOVE skydiving, or anything adrenaline-filled, for that matter. I think the first time I dove was maybe six years ago, and while I've only gone a couple more times since then overseas (standard tandem), I'm ready to pick up some thrill and get licensed for solo dives. Considering how little I know of the sport and how amazingly experienced a lot of you seem to be, I'm hoping I've come to the right place.

I'm also addicted to traveling, so when I can combine the two, I'm a happy camper. Since 2010, I've made it a routine of mine to run with the bulls in Pamplona, but last year I changed things up, quit my job, and moved to South Africa for a while to track rhino and elephant poachers on a private game farm, which was a whole new type of thrill. My problem is, however, I used to work a well paying job directing a cosmetic surgery practice in DC, but now since my focus is on travelling, its harder to find ways to sustain. The plane tickets to Spain and Africa are becoming harder to come by these days [:/]

Since I love jumping out of planes and must eventually tick BASE off my bucket list, I figured now is a good time to pick up a license, considering how much more fun and affordable it will be going on solo dives. I decided my 28th birthday present to myself is to take the first class in the pursuit of A-levels (assuming this is the best way to go?).

In the back of my head, I've also always had a pipe dream of eventually fulfilling the necessities required to become an instructor, in hopes of working DZ to DZ on my travels just scrounging up some extra cash to move on to the next place. This may be a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how likely / ridiculous said pipe dream may be? I know it can get expensive, which is obviously a concern, but I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Looking forward to learning a lot from you all!

Thanks for reading!

Damn...sounds like you've done some cool things.

It's a totally ridiculous dream you have of getting your A license...ridiculously awesome. I'd say head over to Skydive City at Zhills and talk to them. It's about an hour from Siesta Keys And they have excellent instructors and top notch gear.

I did several AFF jumps there and made some awesome friends as well.

Good luck!

Thanks Trafficdiver! I actually am about to book my first lesson with them this week. I'm pretty excited because my first ever dive was actually with Zhills about six or seven years ago.

I plan to blow entirely too much of my free time hanging out there and asking entirely too many questions ;)

Thanks Skymama. I do enjoy Sarasota, though I'm still getting used to the humidity down here. I know I won't make much money working DZ to DZ, but I'm fine with that for a backpacking lifestyle. I also do some freelance adventure travel writing from time to time for the same reason. Just figured picking up a parachute is a much more fun way to make money than by picking up a pen!

Since I love jumping out of planes and must eventually tick BASE off my bucket list, I figured now is a good time to pick up a license, considering how much more fun and affordable it will be going on solo dives. I decided my 28th birthday present to myself is to take the first class in the pursuit of A-levels...
...This may be a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how likely / ridiculous said pipe dream may be? I know it can get expensive, which is obviously a concern, but I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Sounds like you're living in the right spot, came to the right spot, and you already have plans to head over to the right spot to hang with the right guy. Not a bad start for your ridiculous pipe dream :)

I'd say at this point it's highly unlikely you'll avoid at least becoming a skydiver. Multiple tandems plus a proven record of not getting killed during questionable activities? Unless you have some rare gene that prevents you from rocking solo then it's probably too late for ya there!

Like most skydivers, I've met all kinds of people who've done and are doing various versions of what you're planning. Skydiving and the Dropzone environment attract free spirits and (better yet) conspire to convert lots of nearly-normal people into wandering happy-people. The latter happened to me, so I had plenty of real-job cash to get licensed and equipped, the price of admission I guess you'd call it. As for long term jumping, the thrills never end, and one can't master even a subset of the sport, so I'm hooked for life. It not only lived up to the hype, but continues to exceed. Much richer/deeper than I expected.

I'm in transition to nomad, recovering from a non-skydive leg injury (funny!) and my career-thing (computer programming) translated to internet based freelance without much trouble. I love programming, don't need much money, and don't want the responsibility of instructor status, but most people do as you mentioned, make a living as instructors/camera. I say "most people" because you'll find out pretty soon that your dream is solid. Hell, you'll probably share an apartment or three with similar souls in the future. I've seen houses, apartments, tents, buses, lots of RVs, vans, etc. You name it and somebody somewhere is living in one and jumping daily. Beats the Atlanta-traffic corporate-career office BS no matter how I look at it.

If all your answers aren't waiting at ZHills, I'd be surprised if you weren't able to learn a couple other places to just spend a few weekends and meet a dozen people jumping around Florida on a dozen different versions of your dream. It would be good to see a variety of DZs anyway, as they each have a distinct flavor, but ZHills is a great "home dropzone" and it's nearby so you're already in a great spot.

Having an alternate income source is common, and is especially nice if a minor injury, hurricane, or big economic downturn changes the game for a time. On the other hand I know several guys working/jumping full time (a couple of them still doing this in not-cheap Hawaii) who started as packers right out of high-school. No real job skills, no money, no plan, and no big desire to jump. In hindsight they never had a chance :)

So, in my view, you're on a great path with realistic expectations and plenty of options, more options than many. If you and solo jumping fall in love and get married, as is likely, then you'll definitely make this happen and it probably won't require sacrificing everything to eat noodles in a tent the rest of your life.

And the best part?! The people! Skydivers rock. Dropzones differ, but in general you'll find people from every walk of life, minus the stick 'n rear, and plus a good vibe thing that is as awesome as the freefall you'll share. Apologies for rambling and/or lack of proofreading, let me blame the leg and pain meds. Hiking is dangerous, don't do it!! LOL..

Good luck! Blue Skies!

edited to remove multiple self incriminating comments. or spelling