Raintown

Philadelphia Area Newbie

Hi Everyone,

New guy here - wanted to say "Hi" and introduce myself.

I live just outside of Philly, to the North and East, nearer to Trenton, NJ. Would like to make some friends in the sport (both local and far). Also have a couple of questions I hope some of you may answer.

I'm a 48 year old male. I weigh about 255, but I'm pretty well proportioned. Not Ronnie Coleman big, but I'm athletically built. 6'5" tall. I'm fairly active, jetskiing, kiteboarding, windsurfing and SCUBA. I like all outdoor, single person sports. I like motorcycles, and hiking also. Extensive pilot time in various single engine planes.

Made my first Tandem a couple of months ago in Perkasie, Pa. Of course, I'm now addicted, and want to meet some people to help me get certified. I'll surely need good advice hopefully you can help me out.

I have searched exhaustively for a primary answer, to a question that (it seems) doesn't have an answer. I really need help with this.

Spring 2014 I hope to begin training for my AFF certification and attain my A License. What is the weight restrictions to do so??? It seems that every DZ has their own, and won't "really" say what it is, but if they do, then that's the FIRM answer. Now, I'm not too stupid - I get the fact that a lot depends on what canopy sizes are available at different DZ's, etc. So I guess my question is more of a LOCAL question: Where can a guy my build jump locally, and get his AFF Certification? Do any of you know of anyone who has done this being of my size?

Also, I currently travel the US extensively (but will soon remain local). How does one go about finding the safety/performance ratings of a school or a DZ? For some strange reason, safety is kinda important to me... :-) Would anyone feel free enough to guide me to or away from a school in my area? This is kind of a loaded question, I understand.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, and see if any of you may be in the market for a new friend, or may want to help out.

Additionally, are there any local or nationwide clubs that I should join? I'm planning on USPA, but would anyone recommend anything else?

Hoping to meet some of you, and looking forward to spring!

Rob

Speak to the guys at freefall adventures (Cross Keys, NJ)

http://freefalladventures.com/

They are in NJ but they have been in business a long while, a fun crowd who will help you gain a license. I jumped there for 10 years before moving to the west coast.

I did my first tandem in Perkasie almost two years ago exactly;)!

Now I believe that our sport has many people around your size, so I'm sure that one of the many dropzones around your area would be willing to take you. They make canopy sizes all the way up to the 280 range which would certainly be suitable for you. It's just a matter of giving them a call.

There aren't really any clubs besides USPA...You can think of being a regular at a certain DZ as being part of a "club", just get to know everybody there.

I'm up in eastern pennsylvania (Allentown/Bethlehem) so I'd be willing to bet we'd cross paths at some point considering we are both new guys. I don't know anything about the dropzones in New Jersey but I've been to most in eastern PA and obviously did my certification at one. PM me if you're considering eastern PA dropzones and I'll try to help you out

Thanks rsb!

Glad to hear you're fairly new too. I work out of Tunkhannock, so I drive right up 313 alot... Grew up in the Pocono's - college at NCACC. Familiar with the area.

There's a pretty decent DZ I heard at Sky Haven in Tunkhannock. I have a friend who's brother jumps there.

I pretty much was figuring a 280 also. I'm assuming they're not too uncommon, so I think I'll be alright.

Did you do your AFF at Perkasie also?

How active are you with the sport? I think I should hit a couple DZ's and see where I'd fit in.

I'm 20 miles from Perkasie, and I can be in Quakertown in 33 miles. Any other sites to recommend?

Thanks again,

Rob

I did not do my certification in Perkasie, for no particular reason at all. They seemed like a great group of people.

I actually did most of my AFF at above the poconos skydivers in Hazleton which is about a little over an hour north of me (Bethlehem). Great place to learn the sport. Very safety driven, as most dropzones surely are, but they seemed to stand out in safety.

I've been to STL as well and they are awesome. Run a great dropzone and are very organized with their loads, and everybody was super nice in helping me get acquianted with different dropzone landing procedures (since im still a new guy).

It all comes down to whether you think you'd enjoy a large dropzone or a smaller dropzone. There's differences in them.

I just got my license at the end of this past summer, which means you could just barely call me a skydiver haha. I literally just went through what you are going through/about to go through. I plan to do tons of jumping as the whether gets warmer.

Welcome to the forums! :)
As far as finding a dz that is concerned about safety, check out the dropzone reviews at the top of the page and also search the "Events and Places to Jump" forum. When in doubt, just start a new thread asking about a dropzone you're considering. Skydivers are opinionated people for the most part and I suspect you will get the answers in which you seek!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thank to ALL of you.

I honestly felt that this endeavor would be just as I suspected: I'd find a lot of good people willing to help. Much as I did learning to fly and with SCUBA. Opinionated, sure, but in a good way! What works for some, may not for others, but opinions are a treasure for sure.

I'll have to get to Hazleton and STL once this weather breaks. Am SO looking toward the spring!

Thanks again - all of you - and stay warm until spring.