C.Stanley

Just a newb

Hello all,

My name is Chris, i just got out of the army after 11 yrs as a U.S Army Ranger. I now work as a contractor for the special forces. I have always wanted to skydive but with 5 deployments never had the time, now that i am out i finally have a chance. I will be going to Chicago hopefully on the 24th of this month to try for my A-License. Right now i am more excited than anything but i know the nerves will hit when i get there (if not before) I have been brought to this site from many google searches and i love the info i get from it. I am always up for tips, tricks, dos and do nots and info from more experienced people. I travel the U.S a lot so maybe i will be able to meet and jump with some of you in the future. Thanks in advance for the help and info.

Welcome to the forums! Given your career info, I suspect you're no stranger to acting in spite of nerves. Just relax, smile, pay close attention to your instructors and ride that adrenaline wave.

I never realized until much later how much your instructors help out on that first jump. My first solo exit without their help still makes me laugh whenever I watch it. These guys are there to help you out and save your life if the need arises. Every one that I've met takes those responsibilities very seriously. Whatever nerves you're feeling that day, know that you can trust your instructors to take care of you.

Are you planning to hit a vertical wind tunnel before you go? I feel like if I'd put 10-15 minutes in at one, it might have saved me a couple of AFF repeats. I guess there's no way to tell for sure.

Let us know how you do! Good luck!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Welcome to the forums! Given your career info, I suspect you're no stranger to acting in spite of nerves. Just relax, smile, pay close attention to your instructors and ride that adrenaline wave.

I never realized until much later how much your instructors help out on that first jump. My first solo exit without their help still makes me laugh whenever I watch it. These guys are there to help you out and save your life if the need arises. Every one that I've met takes those responsibilities very seriously. Whatever nerves you're feeling that day, know that you can trust your instructors to take care of you.

Are you planning to hit a vertical wind tunnel before you go? I feel like if I'd put 10-15 minutes in at one, it might have saved me a couple of AFF repeats. I guess there's no way to tell for sure.

Let us know how you do! Good luck!

First off thank you for the info. I would really like to hit a tunnel before going, however the closest one to me is 4 hrs south in TENN. I will be staying in Chicago for a couple of weeks to complete the training, And do not know anyone there so if i can find a wind tunnel near by i will more than likely check it out at first chance.

Thank you for the welcome and tip skymama. Relaxing looks like it is going to be the hard part especially in the beginning. I believe (hope) after a few jumps the relaxation becomes easier lol. I keep my cool and relax in a lot of crazy situations i.e repelling into hostile environments, house raids, fire fights ect.. but this is a whole new ball game. I really don't think it will be possible for me to relax starting off. Is there any secrets or tips to relaxing during the starting stages?

It may sound silly, but I always take a deep, cleansing breath when the door goes up when it's exit time. It helps me calm my nerves.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Welcome bro. I'm in the Army and on my 5th deployment right now, so I can't skydive but I can think about it when I'm off.

If you have any specific question feel free to post 'em up or private message me. I'm sure I can point you in the right direction if not answer things reasonably well.

blue skies

...Don't Get Elimated!!

JasonYergin

Welcome bro. I'm in the Army and on my 5th deployment right now, so I can't skydive but I can think about it when I'm off.

If you have any specific question feel free to post 'em up or private message me. I'm sure I can point you in the right direction if not answer things reasonably well.

blue skies

Awesome man, i know how you feel on the deployments. Appreciate the help and time to answer or assist me with questions. Stay safe over there brother.

joelgibson

13 years army, 2 months AFF. Gotta say, welcome to the sport. It's awesome. I plan on finishing AFF this month. I know my initial estimate on finishing it was way off...stupid wind. It's a blast bro.

Awesome, i love the positive feedback on the sport. I hope you get finished up. I took 2 weeks vacation and reserved a room starting the 24th of this month. i hope the weather cooperates with me as well. Good luck on finishing up and thank you for the welcome.

mega serious advice, I have 8 jumps and 8 DAYS at the DZ when wind would not cooperate. I know patience is built in with us Soldiers...chow line much, but there are full days when the wind will not get below 14 mph, and you see the tandems and licensed guys go up and you can't. When you're in the situation, talk to people, pick their brains, learn. I assure you, it will not be a day wasted.
SCR 15113
USPA Coach-C
Hellfish 1004

joelgibson

mega serious advice, I have 8 jumps and 8 DAYS at the DZ when wind would not cooperate. I know patience is built in with us Soldiers...chow line much, but there are full days when the wind will not get below 14 mph, and you see the tandems and licensed guys go up and you can't. When you're in the situation, talk to people, pick their brains, learn. I assure you, it will not be a day wasted.

Thanks for the advice, yeah i definitely plan to hang out at the DZ watch, listen and ask questions whenever i am not in training. I will be 7 hrs from home and will not have anything better to do not knowing anyone. I just don't want to get in other peoples way.

hehe they won't let you get in other peoples' way. As an AFF student you will be treated with kid gloves. Last out of the plane, and last on the DZ. The instructors will make sure you eat, breathe, and sleep the info you need to know.

Just remember, a high pull won't necessarily fail you, a low pull will. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it. But, don't listen to this AFF student, listen to your instructor.
SCR 15113
USPA Coach-C
Hellfish 1004

Thanks for the info, that is exactly what i want to hear from the people that have been doing it for years and the people with only a few recent jumps. I will def listen to my instructors over anyone else. I was a Drill SGT for 2 years i know how that goes, i am only looking for experienced opinions here.

LMAO at the nudist camp jump mind = blown :P

Which DZ do you plan to go to? Skydive Chicago is great. Chicagoland Skydiving is also good. Skydive Midwest (just across the border into Cheesehead territory) is also good.

I've never been to CSC, but I've been to SDC and Midwest. Good people, great vibe.

And SDC is having Summerfest from July 27 thru Aug 4th. It's a hell of a good time!
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo