Tinkabelltyson

Newbie!

Hi

Im Sam (female Sam!!) - From UK!

I just completed my first Tandem skydive and im totally hooked!

Im planning on doing a S/L jump as soon as i can and im also visiting my local wind tunnel to do some practice with indoor skydiving!

Didnt have a great experience with the freefall on my tandem jump - found it difficult to get my breathe which ruined it a little! :(

Having done some research i know its my own fault as my instinct kicked in and i was obviously trying to hold my breathe for some of it! ;) Hence the practice in a wind tunnel!

Any tips would be great! from breathing! to types of jumps and good DZ's

Hi Tinka,

Welcome ! Well done on the tandem :)

Where are you in the UK ? There are a few ways to progress in the sport with S/L being an option but the most popular is AFF.

The breathing comes from relaxing .. which takes a little time..

This is a great time in the UK to get into the sport as the weather is getting better.

Blue Skies from Brighton

Hi Tinkabelltyson, welcome. Where will you be jumping? There are quite a few UK posters on here, so no doubt at some stage you will meet up with some - for jumping! Agree with SHB, learn to relax and enjoy! It is amazing! Also, when you do tunnel time, tell teh tunnel instructors that you intend to do sky-diving, the tasks are ever so slightly different - they can show you to do some practice pulls, not just stable and turning.
Have fun
Ken

Thank you shoreham!

I'm based near heathrow, but I did my tandem at headcorn!

Heard a lot of bad reviews about the place but it seemed ok!

Was thinking of AFF but thought I should probably sort out my breathing issues before paying for it, just in case!!

Where do you normally go to jump?

Hi Ken

Thanks for the tips! I'm taking my niece to the new tunnel opening in basingstoke so I will make sure I let them know why I'm there!!

Where do you think the best place to learn is? I've done research and read reviews but its so confusing!
I want somewhere that I can continue to learn and feel comfortable at.

I guess its trial and error!!

Tinka,

You are correct about Headcorn - even the regular jumpers say the same thing. Its focus is Tandems.

If you're near Heathrow then your nearest is my local DZ (even though I drive from Brighton) which is Hinton Skydive Centre www.skydive.co.uk - its 60 miles North of you but 125 north of me :(

The DZ is great for learning to skydive and then the progression onto an A Licence.

If you are concerned about your breathing then I'd suggest going and having another Tandem and the DZ where you think you might want to learn to be a skydiver.

Explain to the Tandem Instructor that you would like to progress in the sport

You can also discuss breathing issues (which is a normal concern) and take part in a more active Tandem where the instructor may allow you to help steer the canopy to the landing area, learn the basics of the landing pattern and a few other things that would give you the heads up if you decided to go further.

Have a look at an AFF course - its the most popular way to get into the sport ( This is a great video showing the levels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feyL04OIzE4

PM me if you want to know anything else or need a person to speak to at Hinton !

Blue Skies

Welcome to the forums! :)
And, while this IS a skydiving site, many people have found dates and future spouses from here!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

http://www.airkix.com/flights-and-vouchers/offers-and-promotions.aspx?utm_source=Airkix+database&utm_medium=email&utm_term=buy+one+get+one+free&utm_campaign=Buy+one+get+one+free+-+Fathers+day

Heres a 2 for 1 offer for Airkix - they just sent me the email.

Note that Basingstoke is not open until at least the 1st July

If you book some tunnel time let them know you are Pre-AFF. 2 minutes is a taster and will give you a good idea of freefall but don't expect much progress ! 10 minutes (in 90 second or 2 minutes slots) over a 30/60 minute period with coaching in between will really help you through AFF

Have fun.

Simples.

Tinka,

Netheravon (Salisbury) is probably between 45 mins and an hour from you - (SHB - would Nethers not be easier for you?) I trained at FFU (there is a longggg write-up about my experience on the 3rd or 4th page of this forum - it should give you a pretty good idea about what to expect. Lots of folks experience sensory overload - symptoms can include all sorts of things including "not breathing" - it will get better! Last point, consider where you will end up jumping, spend time there just mooching around and chatting, and find out what they want from you. Most DZ's dont mind where you train. Most of all, listen, observe, have fun and stay alive! Oh, and expect lots of male attention! Mostly it is just banter, but.....

Hi Kent

Not for me.Its (Netheravon/Salisbury) a part time DZ only open wed PM Friday PM and then Sat and Sundays. Hinton is 6 days (not Monday) with a brand new PAC :-)

I like to be able to jump mid-week and not at weekends as I have a family.

There are easier DZ for me to get to but i like the set up at Hinton.

Come along and try !

Cheers Kent.

Thanks Shoreham

I got the 2 for 1 offer at airkix - going down 6th July and possibly again 18th July for my birthday.

I was thinking about doing another tandem so maybe i will do that first then a S/L jump before deciding on the AFF course.

Thank you so much for all the tips - they have all been really helpful.

I was sure that the moment i said i couldnt breathe during freefall but wanted to do more that people would tell me not to bother!!

Hi Ken

Netheravon is where i was thinking of doing my SL jump - ive heard loads of good things about them and it isnt too far to travel.

Im trying to talk to as many skydivers as possible at the moment to get as much info and tips as i can! everyone has a different way of dealing with things so its good i can get lots of ideas and see which works best for me!

I definately want to do more - even the breathing part didnt put me off - i was more annoyed at the fact that even after all the training i still tried to hold my breath!

The video i had done is ruined! (although a good lesson!) as you can clearly see the point i cant get my breathe!