fundgh

Rotating the D-Bag into Place?

I learned it this way from the begining, so I have always done it and it works, but why:
When I put the d-bag in the tray, I have already stowed and tucked the tabs on the risers. I coil the last bit of lines in the tray. Then I put the bag (lines towards the bottom) into the tray and rotate it upwards so that the bridle attachment gromet is wedged against the reserve tray.
Why don't I/we set the bag in the tray and leave the bridle attachment facing out?
...FUN FOR ALL!

I learned it this way from the begining, so I have always done it and it works, but why:
When I put the d-bag in the tray, I have already stowed and tucked the tabs on the risers. I coil the last bit of lines in the tray. Then I put the bag (lines towards the bottom) into the tray and rotate it upwards so that the bridle attachment gromet is wedged against the reserve tray.
Why don't I/we set the bag in the tray and leave the bridle attachment facing out?

Bottom line: Follow mfgrs instructions.
The bag is sized and shaped for the particular container. For most, it was designed for the bridle attachment point to be against the reserve wall. The origin of the practice was "fitted" corners at the lower end of the main container. By having the bridle rotate the bag 90 degrees as it comes out of the container, the pressure is released on the fitted corners, enabling the bag to be extracted more easily than if it was pulled straight out.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Bottom line: Follow mfgrs instructions.
The bag is sized and shaped for the particular container. For most, it was designed for the bridle attachment point to be against the reserve wall. The origin of the practice was "fitted" corners at the lower end of the main container. By having the bridle rotate the bag 90 degrees as it comes out of the container, the pressure is released on the fitted corners, enabling the bag to be extracted more easily than if it was pulled straight out.

He's not asking why the bag fits in the container or comes out a certain way, he's asking why he was taught to insert the bag grommet-to-pin, then rotate it grommet-to-reserve.

Chuck pointed out he doesn't rotate it grommet-to-reserve, he just leaves it grommet-to-pin. Freaky, but there you are. :)

When I learned to pack, I learned the same way as fundgh - coil the lines just off the risers into the tray, then drop the bag in line-bights-to-backpad (grommet to pin), then rotate it 90 degrees (line bights to BOC, grommet to reserve). Thankfully my rigger explained why: the goal is to ensure the lines just off the risers don't loop any of the line bights (stows) by ensuring any rotation the bag makes throughout the rest of the container closing process has the line stows moving away from the lines just off the risers, and so it should be trailing and stretching out the line coil, reducing the likelihood of wrapping. During that rotation, the bag holds down the line coils, too, theoretically keeping things more predictable.

Personally I don't subscribe to this 100%, but I still follow it partially. Right before I close my rig I hold the bag a few inches above the empty main container and coil the lines just about the risers, making sure where they connect to the closes stow they don't loop around the bitter end. I put the coils as close to the reserve as possible (which some people say is bad**) then set the bag down at about the angle halfway between grommet-to-pin and grommet-to-reserve, so my stows are as far from the coils as they can get. Then I rotate the bag so the lines are at the BOC and I make sure I can see all the stow ends, lifting them out from under the bag if necessary. That's how I tell I don't have any stows wrapping each other.

I think this is one of those voodoo things that probably has a kernel of safety goodness in it. Problem is, I don't know how large that kernel is.

** I coil the lines between the risers and the closest stow as close to the reserve as I can to keep them away from my stows. Some people say this is bad because it could encourage those lines to catch on the reserve container and tear it during an abnormal opening, and some people don't like their coils here because the base of their closing loop / closing loop lanyard is at the reserve. (I have a recent model Infinity, so my closing loop is in the bottom flap.)

My disclaimer is this: anyone who thinks they know how their gear works could be right, and they could be wrong. If you think you know, you may want to doublecheck. If you don't know, you should ask a rigger. If his explanation doesn't make sense, then you may have to do what he says without understanding it. (I am in this boat from time to time while I'm still "figuring things out". :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.