Jimmycash

New to Skydiving

Hello all i am new to skydiving went for my first tandum jump last week and loved it. Want to get into the sport. I know i have to do the AFF course. Just wondering if anyone has completed 1-9 and what to expect. I am also looking into some gear but to buy brand new is very expensive and for a beginer i know little about secondhand gear and if it going to make me go thud on the ground. Any tips on good places to buy secondhand would be great?

Oh yeah my first jump was at Sydney Skydiving in Australia at 14000 feet want to complete AFF at same place.

Best description of AFF that I've seen so far is HERE. We're all waiting with for the successful A license jump.

Don't worry too much about gear yet. You won't really want to get it until you are a bit further on. Used is best at first for several different reasons (keep in mind that used gear has been successfully jumped before), and you may well be able to find what you need at your own DZ. If not, then the instructors and riggers (and even the regular jumpers) will be able to give you some real guidance. As opposed to random advice from strangers and wierdos on the internet.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Advice from strangers and wierdos on the internet.

Uh that's how I got into Skydiving in the first place:P

Seriously though, good points. Instructors will know how you fly, what skill level you are at and so on. Also before you buy new or used gear Get Measured!

A nice fitting container that's not flopping around as you free fall is an up!

Last but not least ARCH, ARCH, ARCH, ARCH! Don't pee on yer shoes!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Yeah I have been doing a lot of research on AFF and the levels and one of the things everyone says is ARCH and altitude awareness. I am not really worried about jumping, a little worried about arching enough to stay stable. The thing that I am worried about is tracking and landing. It seems a lot of accidents and mistakes happen close to the ground and the results can be very bad. I guess I have to start the course before I jump to conclusions. Thanks for the tips can’t wait to jump again just got to wait till I get paid to I book my next jump.

Hey great to meet you. I can't wait to do my AFF its all i can think about since my last jump. What are the instructors like? Do you have your own rig or do you hire from the DZ? Once i get the cash together you will probably see me around the DZ just look for the noob with a lost look on his face. haha hope to chat to you soon

yeah you might just look like me then....

Yeah the instructors are great there is a few of them so it may vary which ones you have through each stage of your AFF. Normally ground training is done all day saturday and you may have a chance to do jump on later that afternoon depending on weather.

You need to use student gear up until you get your A license, 9 AFF stages are around 190 each including hire etc or you can bundle it together price I think mine was 760 for the first 3 stages and 190 for the rest and stage 9 was 140 ish

Given the size of the DZ and the number of instructors is good to get access as they do have a lot of students and found doing mine midweek to be better than the weekend.

be sure to carry the EXCITEMENT from your first jump with you, and you move along, step by step.:)
Be NOT in a great hurry...:|
savor each jump and each level of progress as you move along through the program.

as for gear... i'd guess that you'll be provided with first rate equipment all the way up through your training.... so concentrate on learning to FEEL.... what it's like to be in freefalll and under canopy. Lots to learn... ;)

Decisions about gear,, whether new or used..will be off into your future with the sport , and will be guided by your instructors and your more experienced fellow jumpers...

Nice user name....B|
I Tooo , USED TO BE Jimmycash... :o:P;)
but THEN i started skydiving and alll that changed!!!!!:DB|:)jmy

Yeah i want to take the learning slow and enjoy each stage. i am not in any big hurry to get through all the stages just want to enjoy each jump and learn as much as possible. i might have to change my username once i become a fully fledged jumper great to meet you Jimmytavino. I am killing for some more fall time

they have the caravan back to today I think so that will help go through the loads quicker. What did you jump out of the Beaver ?

After you do ground school and if you jump there weekends tip is to get there early and manifest they start jumping normally from around 8am or so