mswistak

Howdy! (New with AFF question)

Howdy everyone,

I have always been interested in skydiving but have a fear of heights (not in planes but on fixed objects i.e. tall buildings etc). I am making a big career change and in the process I really want to start living life to the fullest (due to how unhappy I have been with 60 hour work weeks right out of college), so becoming a licensed skydiver is my goal. You people impress me so much.

My question is, can I do AFF classes with different schools and still get certified in the end? I will be training for the new job in Atlanta GA, then moving to Denver for good. I will have weekends free but not sure if I will have the cash flow to get all of the AFF (1-7) jumps done before I am sent to Denver. Please weigh in on this and let me know. I am soooo excited about this and want to fly!

Any school recommendations to do my AFF in both Atlanta and Denver?

CheersB|

Howdy everyone,

I have always been interested in skydiving but have a fear of heights (not in planes but on fixed objects i.e. tall buildings etc). I am making a big career change and in the process I really want to start living life to the fullest (due to how unhappy I have been with 60 hour work weeks right out of college), so becoming a licensed skydiver is my goal. You people impress me so much.

My question is, can I do AFF classes with different schools and still get certified in the end? I will be training for the new job in Atlanta GA, then moving to Denver for good. I will have weekends free but not sure if I will have the cash flow to get all of the AFF (1-7) jumps done before I am sent to Denver. Please weigh in on this and let me know. I am soooo excited about this and want to fly!

Any school recommendations to do my AFF in both Atlanta and Denver?

CheersB|

Get thee to SKYDIVE THE FARM and get your AFF done ASAP.. Talk to popsjumper...he jumps there.

I just realized that I had a buddy in college who I saw his skydive pictures and videos all the time so I just gave him a call...

He told me that my best bet would be to do the indoor tunnel in Denver first and then do my AFF (also recommended an instructor that I could use for both!) I really like his idea because I want to be very safe, I cannot tell you how many failed AFF videos I have watched in the last few days! Don't want my first experience to scare me away from what seems to be an excellent way to live life!

So I will save my money while training in ATL then plop down the $$$ in Denver! I will hopefully be there September 1st!

I haven't heard you talk about your first tandem yet. If you haven't done one, maybe get out to your nearest drop zone NOW, to get the feel of what's to come. You won't be disappointed.

I wasn't too into the idea of tandem but I completely understand where you are coming from. Reason being is because I want the freedom in the air with AFF to decide if this is truly what I want to do (I do not have many hobbies or anything I am really good at, and skydiving has always intrigued me). Go big or go home right?

Either way I am sure I may do a tandem at Skydive the Farm like you have suggested since I probably will not want to start AFF in Georgia then finish with another school in Denver. Thanks for the advice!

I agree with the tandem idea. It would definitely help with the sensory overload, "pucker factor" with that first AFF jump. Might cost a little more, but I think it would have helped me be more comfortable in the air. I forget to breathe for about 15 seconds after exit until my instructors shook the hell outta me. :D Just my $0.02...

In freefall, you have the rest of your life to figure out what's wrong. -Joe, AFF Instructor

An AFF jump w/two instructors costs >$300. A tandem only runs about half that. My first three jumps were tandems. As much as I like to be the one in control of hazardous situations. I didn't mind having someone right @my shoulder, showing me various insights for landing approaches, etc...

OP, there's a saying: "Shaddup N jump!" Look up Popsjumper (http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?username=popsjumper;), & go get it ;).

You might want to call the CO dropzone and confirm that they are fine having you continue at their place if you start elsewhere, and if so what whether they will impose any additional requirements or jumps upon arrival. (And probably best to ask for all the possibilities of your status when you arrive: AFF grad, AFF grad with a number of solos, or completed various levels short of AFF level 7.)

One additional factor you might consider: GA is near sea level, so the exit elevation above ground will be higher than what they can do in Denver (a mile high). And you'll fall faster in thinner air, further shortening you FF time.

So each AFF jump you do in GA will give you more time in free fall. More time to do more; more time to try again; more time to do things a bit more deliberately to get them right.

In any event, good luck.