painter

newbie from Oklahoma, w/question

Ive made 10 statics over the years, and recently did my first AFF. Did every thing fine, but missed the handle, and they pulled FOR me. ONE, of the jumpmasters , couldnt understand why I had trouble, and was kinda rude about it actually, the other guy said, dont worry, you;ll get it next time. Does this happen to some first time aff's? dumb question I guess, but just wanted some feedback.

Yes, it happens, and is not uncommon. However, pulling on time is THE biggest priority, so it's a big deal that they had to pull for you. Your instructors are probably going to make you repeat that level until you get it correct. If everything else was fine, then you shouldn't have a problem doing it right the next time, and progressing forward.

At least you missed the handle and didnt freeze up for 60 seconds like my buddy did on our AFF lvl 1. he failed completely, just locked on for the entire jump. they failed him, and he got so pissed he just left the DZ without a debrief, or getting his logbook signed.

im sure the next time you go, you will be more than mentally aware to reach back and flick that PC, and i wish you blue skies!
In freefall, you have the rest of your life to figure out what's wrong. -Joe, AFF Instructor

here is my log book entry for level 1.
"hesitation on exit count, but stable exit. arch more. good coa. good legs out and arch when prompted. nice practice touches with assistance on first two. very good altitude awareness. panicked at pull time and grabbed everything but handle. instructor deployed. good canopy control, but flared late. don't land on butt, plf. cleared to level 2 (practice touches on horizontal)."

it has happened many times, and will continue to happen.

the affi's are there because you are expected to fuck up a little. learn and move on.

good luck and blue skies
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."