Earlybirdmel

Newbie from Isle of Man

Hi all, well did my first Tandem at Langar on the 5th August, raising £1000 for the RNLI, and well, havn't been able to think about anything else since! lol Am boring people talking about it so much but it was the best experience of my life! I am 40 in november and am hoping to start doing a RAPS course then. Unfortunately my main problem is getting to a DZ. Why there isn't one over here I will never know :( I am tempted to do it at Langar being the only place I have been too, but Black Knights or Cark would be nearer for me, just trying to find out which is the better option. Not knowing anyone in the sport yet, friendly professional staff is the most inportant thing to me :)

I have jumped at Langar and Cark and both are good DZ's.

If you wanted to - you could come and do AFF here at Dunkeswell in Devon (but that's a bit further away) ...

If you are planning on doing it before the 24th Sept you could come to the UKS BOOGIE and join in the fun :)

I have jumped at Langar and Cark and both are good DZ's.

If you wanted to - you could come and do AFF here at Dunkeswell in Devon (but that's a bit further away) ...

If you are planning on doing it before the 24th Sept you could come to the UKS BOOGIE and join in the fun :)

Talk about making a girl feel envious! :D I would love to do my AFF and I would love to attend the Boogie but unfortunately cant get off this rock until November :(

Well you have a couple of options - you can rough the UK weather and try to do your AFF in Winter (it is possible!)..

Or a quick trip to somewhere hot - Spain or America to do your AFF and then back to 'the rock' / the UK with your A licence :)
Then you can come and jump with us all next year :P

Well you have a couple of options - you can rough the UK weather and try to do your AFF in Winter (it is possible!)..

Or a quick trip to somewhere hot - Spain or America to do your AFF and then back to 'the rock' / the UK with your A licence :)
Then you can come and jump with us all next year :P

Might just be a plan. I grew up in Southern Spain and returned a few years back after working there for a while as a translator, so have the lingo under my belt and to me its a bit like a distant home from home, so will have to work on the other half and my bank balance;)B| Just brought the skydivers handbook today to give me something to "calm" my withdrawal symptoms! :D Just a shame everyone at work still thinks that I would be totally mad to take it up having a family [:/] Guess I was hoping that at least one or two of them would of said "you go for it girl!" or something to that effect! :D Hard work being surrounded by pessimists who havn't tried it.

It's always difficult, but one thing i have learnt is that you have to live your life and to also be true to yourself.

If it doesn't excite your colleagues then so be it, but it clearly excites you - so "you go for it girl" :)
Enjoy the reading and if i was in your shoes then Spain is looking like a good option !!

Hi, and welcome to the sport.

I really don't think you would go wrong with either Black Knights or Cark. Both will be welcoming and get you on your way with your RAPS or AFF.

Based on my own experiences, I would say BKPC is the more professional DZ, whilst Cark seem to take a more relaxed approach to things.

Saying that, Black Knights is my home DZ so I will obviously favour it. We have free camping, basic bunkhouses, free showers, toilet block, cafe etc. The farm we're on has a barn converted into rooms if you don't want to rough it. Most importantly we have a friendly bunch of regulars...just come down and say hi.

There is one lad who comes here from 'the rock' so I guess it might be easier to get to than Cark too??

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask or PM me. I look forward to our first beer :)