BecomeAddicted

One tandem jump so far, and I think I'm addicted!

Wow, I went on my first tandem jump last week and it was INCREDIBLE!!! I don't even know what provoked me to do it.... I was just driving by the place and figured I'd try it! Oddly enough, I wasn't scared at all... I didn't even have an adrenaline rush (is there something wrong with me, LOL?). Maybe this has something to do with it though: my goggles flew off the second I stepped out of the plane, literally before we even jumped... just as I was dangling my feet off the side, and they never prepped me for what to do if my goggles flew off. I soon realized that I would probably have some kind of eye damage if I kept them open, so I kept them shut the entire freefall until the chute deployed. Could that contribute to my non-scared feeling (because I couldn't even tell what was going on and was just worried about trying to keep my body directly under the instructor's, by feel of limb-placement alone)?

Has anyone had goggles fly off before, what are you supposed to do in that situation? As much as I tried to keep them closed, they did kind of get blown open a few times, and my eyes are bloodshot and sore today. [:/] Thanks!

Hey! Welcome, and yes, I guess one jump is about all it takes to get addicted. That was all it took for me too!

I'm not sure about going goggle-less because I've never done it but I have heard of someone who just said screw it one time and never wore goggles since. I feel like about all you have to worry about besides the air pounding your eyes is some stray particle hitting your eyeball. Then again, I'm now too! So I'll let someone else cover that part.

So true.. :)

Never tried tandem, but since 10th or April when i jumped my first AFF jump, been quite addicted..

Looking forward to my first tandem, I do bet it'll be scary as hell, when you're not opening your canopy yourself. After I get 100 jumps, I'll do my first tandem. Later this season maybe, or next spring.